Logic Pro (X) Logic Pro X and Cubase on same iMac

andy.v.belgium

Hi,

I have been using Cubase for ages and know it very well (using version 10.5 on Mac now). I am however looking into buying Logic also, not to replace Cubase but as an additional DAW with additional functionality, different stock plugins, ... They will never run together and will not be linked, Logic may be used for one type of project while Cubase may be a better fit for another type.

This is only for studio usage, using an A&H Qu32 mixer which is also the audio interface.

I have a couple of questions:
- has anyone ran both DAWs on the same Mac? Would they conflict in any way? It's a 2019 model with plenty of RAM.
- I am using Kontakt, would it be recognized by Logic automatically?

Any feedback is welcome :)

Thx

Regards,

Andy (Belgium)

Hi Andy welcome to the LUG.
I use a Mac Pro 5.1 and Mac Book Pro 15" 2013 model, both have the current versions of Logic (10.4.8) Cubase Pro 10.5, Nuendo 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, NI Komplete 12 and much more. I haven't come across any issues due to having both Logic and Cubase on the same Mac. Kontakt should be recognized by Logic, it certainly is here. Just be aware that Logic requires plugins to be in Apple's Audio Units format, the VST Plugin format, as used by Steinberg Products, won't be recognized by Logic. If you have already installed Kontakt as AU (presumably already as VST) then it should be scanned first time you launch logic, after that you are good to go.

HTH, kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi Andy welcome to the LUG.
I use a Mac Pro 5.1 and Mac Book Pro 15" 2013 model, both have the current versions of Logic (10.4.8) Cubase Pro 10.5, Nuendo 10, Wavelab Pro 9.5, NI Komplete 12 and much more. I haven't come across any issues due to having both Logic and Cubase on the same Mac. Kontakt should be recognized by Logic, it certainly is here. Just be aware that Logic requires plugins to be in Apple's Audio Units format, the VST Plugin format, as used by Steinberg Products, won't be recognized by Logic. If you have already installed Kontakt as AU (presumably already as VST) then it should be scanned first time you launch logic, after that you are good to go.

HTH, kind regards

Mark

Thanks a lot for the info Mark.

I know there are a lot of threads on this subject, but can I ask your professional and personal opinion on the most important differences between Logic and Cubase? Which DAW do you use for wich task or type of project?

Basically I am looking for things Logic can do better than Cubase, giving me a reason to spend my money ;)

Thx

Andy

Upvote 0
I hardly ever use Cubase Andy, sorry. I can tell you quite a bit about Logic, but don't feel that qualified totalk in detail about where Cubase has advantages or disadvantages over logic.

Mark

Upvote 0
Back