Logic Pro (X) Logic Pro X & Mackie Control Universal Pro-blems

mk3

Logician
Hello everyone -

A problem began with the usually harmonious relationship between Logic Pro and the Mackie Control Universal Pro.

The MCU will no longer properly follow Banks when selecting a track of a different Bank (of 8 tracks) in the Arrange window. That is to say: If one selects a track in the same Bank of 8 tracks, the MCU follows. If one selects a track outside of that bank of 8, the MCU should move to that bank and select the same track. The little Control Surface bars in the arrange window should also move. Neither happens.

Certain additional moves can trick the MCU into its proper follow behavior: selecting a second track in the desired bank; toggling on and off the Record button in the track. This should not be necessary.

Oddly, the MCU behaves properly if one selects the channel strip in the Mixer instead. Nevertheless, it used to always work fine with selecting tracks, and no longer does. Not sure when the problem started, perhaps with one of the recent incremental Logic updates.

I tested numerous scenarios for troubleshooting; the problem persists in all cases:
- Logic X under new User on the Mac
- different projects, including new blank project with added empty tracks
- disabling all AU plugins
- starting Logic without Audio drivers
- connecting MCU via MIDI cables instead
- different USB cable
- connect USB cable directly to MacBook Pro instead of to interface
- disconnect all other MIDI and audio interfaces
- restart, run Onyx, Disk Utility, rebuild permissions, etc
- delete Logic Control Surface preferences
- re-install Control Surface into Logic
- reset Mackie Control
- curse
- drink more coffee
- curse again
- pray

Oddly, the MCU behaves fine with Logic 9....At least this suggests there is no hardware issues with the MCU itself.

Any advice profoundly appreciated.

P.S. I researched further on-line and found a video of this behavior, but with no fix mentioned:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Are others also experiencing this?
Would be good to know whether it is a general bug in the current version(s) of Logic, or system-specific.

If anyone knows a fix, please advise...

Upvote 0
Hi mk3, first of all the control you are using, it is not MCU and not Mackie. It is M-Audio's Universal Control. The latest LPX update has a lot's of problems. I have a Mackie MCU Pro and Extend, Pro.I still have to use it under old Logic Control protocol. Try different protocols. And try M-Audio's. But it is sure not MCU Pro...

Upvote 0
Hi mk3, first of all the control you are using, it is not MCU and not Mackie. It is M-Audio's Universal Control. The latest LPX update has a lot's of problems. I have a Mackie MCU Pro and Extend, Pro.I still have to use it under old Logic Control protocol. Try different protocols. And try M-Audio's. But it is sure not MCU Pro...

Thank you for the reply. I am using the MCU; sorry if I confused matters by posting that video. The video is by someone else with their own setup (not mine). So the fact that this is occurring with different brands of controllers suggests that it is a more general Logic (or OS X?) bug....

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem with an MCU AND with a Frontier Alphatrack - which constantly displays the PREVIOUS track selected. Any new solutions?

Upvote 0
Back