Logic Pro (X) Logic X 10.0.1 is out

Yup. Hopefully this is a sign that updates will be coming fast and furious!

Full release notes:

What's New in Version 10.0.1
This update improves overall stability and performance issues including:

• Fixes an issue that could cause content downloading to stall
• 24-bit audio files are no longer converted to 16-bit when exporting projects to AAF
• Improves stability when switching between audio editors while Flex Pitch is enabled
• Track Stacks that contain both software instrument and audio tracks will no longer be inadvertently flattened by loading a Patch
• Tuner is now available when selecting a Track Stack containing audio tracks
• Addresses graphic and selection behavior issues in the Score Editor

This release is recommended for all Logic Pro X customers.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logic-pro-x/id634148309?mt=12&ign-mpt=uo=4

Upvote 0
"Updates NEED to be fast and furious"

- so far so so good. We can't expect everything to be fixed on update .01- I for one and impressed at their response and subsequent update this soon.
Of course, I felt that logic 9 was well supported with updates, as well.
.. It's funny how the "logic is dead" folks seemed to well... Died off.
I think I may go have a German beer...in their honor.

Upvote 0
It's funny how the "logic is dead" folks seemed to well... Died off.
Logic not only is not dead but is materialized in different forms inside OSX from core audio to garage band to apple loops ; all under the supervision of gerhard lengeling :)
I have never been loyal to any piece of software for so long but to Emagic now Apple audio software in my whole life and still does not regret it !
Thanks Apple !

Upvote 0
I'm unfortunately away from my workstation right now. Can someone confirm if the add software instrument with next MIDI channel problem has been corrected? And if so, how specifically?

Upvote 0
I'm unfortunately away from my workstation right now. Can someone confirm if the add software instrument with next MIDI channel problem has been corrected? And if so, how specifically?

Hi Eli,

v10.0.1 has fixed the problem.

When using a multi-timbral instrument (in my case, HALion Sonic at the moment) with multi-timbral unchecked or with it checked:

I manually change the first track MIDI channel from All to 1.

Then with Track menu>Other>New Track with Next Channel (or the key command), a new track set to channel 2 is created but without an instrument inserted. No Plug-in is checked on when opening the Input pop up. No new channel strip is created.

Repeating the command continues to create new tracks with the next MIDI channel but without creating new channel strips.

Hope that helps.
Sad to say that I'm checking the G3 site several times a day.;)

Doug?:D

Upvote 0
Hi Wally,

Thanks for the thorough description. I'm glad to hear its working as expected!

PS: The Logic Pro X Explained videos are still a couple of weeks away from being released.

Eli Krantzberg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
"Updates NEED to be fast and furious"

- so far so so good. We can't expect everything to be fixed on update .01- I for one and impressed at their response and subsequent update this soon.
Of course, I felt that logic 9 was well supported with updates, as well.
.. It's funny how the "logic is dead" folks seemed to well... Died off.
I think I may go have a German beer...in their honor.
:beer:
Well, in all seriousness, four years is a ridiculous eternity in the land of software to not have a re-written update (which Logic X is not.)
In these last four years, I believe there have been 3 complete versions of Pro-tools, 3 versions of Live and other up-dated versions of Audio & Video software programs. Does that mean that these other companies are making better software than Apple? No, not at all.:cool:
But I do understand how the stone-wall of silence from Apple scares some users who have been groomed by the industry to expect upgrades to happen with regularity.
And to those who are about to shoot me down with comments like, "Logic 9 was so rock-solid, it didn't need to be updated as often as other DAWs," you're kinda missing the point.
I love Logic 9. I'm still using it because I still have some 32bit Plugs in active projects. I might continue to use this version for some time while bugs get worked out in X.
But honestly, a lot of what I see in X is catch up stuff that Logic was always missing. I'm glad to see that Apple really was listening to what forums like this one were complaining about/suggesting/wanting out of the program.:thmbup:
But oversights (or conscious decisions) to leave the old-skins of legacy plug-ins intact, or the dismantling of a 32 bit bridge rendering some of my older plug-ins obsolete (Soundtoys, anyone?) and the overly dark appearance of the interface leave a little to be desired in my opinion, after four years...:huh:
All that said, kudos to Apple for the .01 update. I hope more are on the way.
:hippy:

Upvote 0
a lot of what I see in X is catch up stuff that Logic was always missing.

It's true that MIDI effects, pitch correction, smart controls have been done before in other DAWs in various ways. But there is one serious game changer in Logic X that I have not seen in any other DAW. And that is the Drummer track functionality.

It is early very implementation of an almost "artificial intelligence" approach to working with a DAW. And that is something completely new. It may not be perfect right now, but it is an exciting step in a new direction. And IMHO, Apple has once again set a new bar that other DAWs in their own way will now need to wrestle with.

I personally can't wait for "Guitarist" or Saxophonist". :drm:

Upvote 0
a lot of what I see in X is catch up stuff that Logic was always missing.

I personally can't wait for "Guitarist" or Saxophonist". :drm:

:shrddr::band::synnth:
HA!

Yes, the AI is an interesting and innovative move for Apple but for whatever reason, I picture a dumbed-down yet more elaborate version of this appearing in a future Garage-Band release that let's a novice sound like he's Led Zep.
That kind of innovation would be terrible... Of course I'm talking tongue in cheek here but... would Apple make AI guitarist, or AI keyboarder or AI percussionist? Is this where it's going? We'll just switch it on and let the machine be creative for us?
Yikes! :ooold:
Call me an old geezer but I don't think I'd like that. -But I'll get back to you after I try out the AI Drummer in X... Who knows, I might learn to stop worrying and love the bomb. ;)
:rolleyes::hippy:

Upvote 0
What I am liking so far about Drummer is that, although it can be as brainless as adding in Apple Loops, it does offer a lot of opportunity for creating nuanced unique parts for those who have the inclination.

Parts, or sections of parts can be easily converted to MIDI and edited. Regions can be broken down and shortened as much as necessary, with unique complexity parameters applied to small segments.

You can get sophisticated irregular parts created that fit the punches and rhythms of your music. Kind of like a controlled randomness, where specific bars or beats can be less or more random as needed. And it's way better than building up a MIDI drum part from scratch.

Upvote 0
four years is a ridiculous eternity in the land of software

True. But one thing to consider is that when you work for a megacorp that has a lot of products vs. a small company that makes only a tiny number of products, the odds are that you're going to work on a lot of things, rather than just one thing. Think of how many Apple products use sound, music, or audio in one way or another. None of us know exactly what each individual Apple employee does on a given day, but I think that we can safely say that the Logic team wasn't simply enjoying cocktails on the beach for 3.5 years, then decided to "get the band back together" and work on Logic for a spell. :hippy:

So yes, four chronological years is something like three hundred software years. ;) But I'm betting that the Logic team has been quite busy for all of those years, and that although we may never know the exact details, we've been enjoying the fruits of their labor in our Apple software and hardware products.

Orren

Upvote 0
...would Apple make AI guitarist, or AI keyboarder or AI percussionist? Is this where it's going? We'll just switch it on and let the machine be creative for us?

My understanding is that the Smart Controls and Drummer access a new feature in LPX called "Articulation ID." It's not a matter of "dumbing down" anything in particular, but giving users the ability to control the "performance" of a given set of samples based on articulation parameters. There already are "smart instruments" in Garageband for iOS (and the Logic Remote app for iOS) that in effect "lock" an instrument to always playing in key.

In other words: I don't think the "Apple way" is to create a Frankenstein-like monster application that you simply say "be Zep" and it creates an entire song and you do nothing. I think that instead, you will still "play" the instrument, but you will be able to set the parameters of what is being played so that with no knowledge of music theory, you'll still be able to write a song. But the notes you choose, the timing intervals, what constitutes the intro, verse, chorus, etc. that's still up to the musician.

Personally, I think that this is a Good Thingâ„¢ and welcome it! I don't think that it will get to the "just switch it on" point, because that's no fun for the user, either.

Orren

Upvote 0
Back