Logic Pro (X) Logic X: Multi-timbral Track Mixer Labelling Issue

peterspiano

Logician
Dear Logic X experts,

How does one get Track Number 1 of a Multi-timbral Instrument to appear in the Mixer Window?

I'm working on a orchestral template which is decent in size and intended for flexibility depending on the needs of a project. For reasons of clarity I would like all of my tracks to have a proper name. I'm starting at the top with "3Fl", for 3 Flutes, one of my East West Key Switch Instruments.

When I create a Multi-timbral Instrument in the Main-Window (formerly known as the Arrange-Window), the Track represented in the Mixer Window is either Track 2 or Track 9. This is problematic for reasons of proper naming of my Multi-timbral Instruments. I can go into detail here if this would help matters, but will leave my description succinct for the moment :)

I'm sorry if this all seems like a trivial detail, I would very much like though for this template to be correctly labelled for ease of navigation. There are an additional 40 or so tracks which are in this template and I designed it with expansion in mind..so proper labelling would be very preferable!

looking forward to any tips you might be able to offer - with MUCH appreciation for your time and thought :)

Peter

ps. I recently bought an Ipad 2 with which i occasionally use with "˜Logic Remote'. Perhaps this controller is messing with what appears in the mixer window on my Mac Pro? just an idea..

Logic X 10.0.4 
Mac OS X 10.9
Mac Pro. 2 x 2.8 Ghz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (2008 3,1)
22 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM (RAM)
ipad os 7.0.3

I answered this on there V.I. Control forum.

May I make a friendly suggestion? Ask it on ONE forum and wait at least a little while before you go asking it on at least 2 others.

Upvote 0
Not sure what Jay's reply was, but you can view all the associated tracks of a multi instrument in the Mixer by enabling "All tracks with same channel strip/instrument" from under the Mixer's local View menu.

Attachments

• All Tracks.jpg
    All Tracks.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0
Hey Eli, thanks for the suggestion...Yes! This works as well :)

Thanks to you both for your replies! :)

for other users who read this...my problem solver:

I just had to go ahead and make the multi-timbral instrument, then delete instance 2-9 (for Play instruments, 2-16 for Kontakt ones). Then click on the plus button of the VST Instrument enough times to get sufficient Aux channels...route the Outs from Play/Kontakt to the Aux Channels and then Voila!

My initial problem was that when I made the Multi-Timbral Instrument the naming seemed to be a bit quirky. By deleting the extra Channels on the Arrange window and using only Aux channels for those play instances 2-9 or Kontakt 2-16 the problem is solved.

Upvote 0
This _is_ really the way to go now. Use the multi output Aux tracks as the discreet MIDI channels at the same time. Takes up less screen and "mental" real estate. This is one of the most overlooked features that happened late in the life of Logic 9.1.x.The Aux channels, when set to discreet MIDI channels, can actually be used to host the MIDI data as well as the discreet audio streams from the multiple outputs. Personally I think this was the "seed" that gave birth to Track Stacks in Logic Pro X.

Upvote 0
I disagree. The way to go for me is Peter Schwartz's SkiSwitcher Environment object. One track for i.e all violin 1 articulations switching with program changes sent from my Kurzweil PC88 simply by pressing buttons.

Upvote 0
Agreed - key switches are absolutely the way to go for multiple articulations on orchestral instruments. I was just thinking about a generic approach internal to Logic. I'll have to check out Peter's environment. Thanks Jay!

Upvote 0
Back