Logic Pro 9 Logic9 Bounce Regions in Place Destination options

redember

Logician
Hi I like to record audio snippets, melodyne them and bounce in place quite often when doing vocal takes. The bounce in place destination option of: selected track, is always disabled!
this wastes a lot of time moving the newly created file back to the source track and deleting the newly created track (which i am dumbfounded this takes up to 5 or so seconds! as well as any other instrument tracks for that matter - major pain!!)

the manual offers no recourse as to what should be done to make the option available - even tho in the screenshot the option is disabled :rolleyes:

can anyone offers any suggestions?
cheers!

logic9.1.3 on a mac 3.2 Quad CoreIntXeon 8gbRam Macosx10.6.4

I sometimes get this, but then I realise it's because I haven't yet selected a target track! (ie the track the region is on is still the active track)

Upvote 0
Hey Pete, thanks very much for your reply....,,,my test just now helps this problem considerably!!!! - BUT....

the destination: selected track option is now available ONLY if i select another existing track in my project then choose the file to be bounced as long as its not on the same track. (hence avoid the auto-creation of a new track -great) -
BUT it still wont allow me to merely bounce it in place on the very same track the file already resides in?

is this not possible maybe?

i am hoping the simple process of:
A: selecting an audio region (on the track that is selected)
B: clicking bounce regions> ok > and have the bounced file replace the older one. done. without the need of moving it back to the original track.

your comment - (ie the track the region is on is still the active track) suggests not?

thanks again :)

Upvote 0
When you bounce in place isn't there an option to either mute the selected region, not mute the selected region, or replace the selected region?

Upvote 0
yep all three of those options are available; regardless of choice it still doesn't help i'm afraid. the fact there is a 'replace' option must suggest you can BIP an audio file in place of the original, directly where it sits, without anymore fuss.

Upvote 0
Sorry it's actually called the delete option. But for all purposes the bounced file is superseeding the old file...so why must it be dropped anywhere other than the track it originally came from?
To answer ur question No it doesn't that can be avoided by selecting a pre existing track- and the file will be dropped there.

Upvote 0
Sorry it's actually called the delete option. But for all purposes the bounced file is superseeding the old file...so why must it be dropped anywhere other than the track it originally came from?
To answer ur question No it doesn't that can be avoided by selecting a pre existing track- and the file will be dropped there.

Ah, my mistake. I wasn't in front of Logic and couldn't remember.

Anyways, I think I have a (good) explanation for you, but without thinking about it a little more, I don't think I have a great solution, other than taking the time to delete or hide the old track.

Bounce in place is a based on regions, not tracks. When bouncing MIDI, it has to create a new track because it is creating an audio track. When bouncing audio, the function bounces any effects and automation you have. If you replaced the region with the newly bounced region, you would have double effects and double automation. (for instance, a distorted guitar with automation fading it out at the end, going back through a distortion effect and then faded out again) I suppose a solution would be to have a choice not to bounce effects and automation, but at that point, why are you bouncing the audio? To join together a bunch of regions that you have edited? In that case, just use the "Merge Regions" function.

If you did bounce the automation and effects, Logic would have to delete the automation and effects from your track when putting the newly bounced region in its place. But what if you had a second region down the line?

I like the creation of a new track, because it lets me keep my effect settings in case I need to go back and re-edit something.

Hope this helps.

pkm

Upvote 0
(for instance, a distorted guitar with automation fading it out at the end, going back through a distortion effect and then faded out again) I suppose a solution would be to have a choice not to bounce effects and automation, but at that point, why are you bouncing the audio? To join together a bunch of regions that you have edited? In that case, just use the "Merge Regions" function.
Normally yes, but it doesn't work like that with Melodyne (which records and plays back from within the plugin, not the region).

I think what you would want to do here must depend on how you use Melodyne. Surely you would want the ability to get back to the unmelodyned audio.

If you are transferring the entire track to Melodyne, then IMO it's best to BIP to a new track. You then bypass melodyne and mute the original track, but you keep it for safety.

OTOH, if you are just melodyning the odd word, then I can see why you might want to replace the original region on the same track, however I would not do that if the region consists of an entire audiofile, as I would be nervous about losing the original pre melodyned audio.

If the region is just part of an audio file, other parts of which are is still existing an region/s on the track, then that would not really be a danger I suppose.

Upvote 0
(for instance, a distorted guitar with automation fading it out at the end, going back through a distortion effect and then faded out again) I suppose a solution would be to have a choice not to bounce effects and automation, but at that point, why are you bouncing the audio? To join together a bunch of regions that you have edited? In that case, just use the "Merge Regions" function.
Normally yes, but it doesn't work like that with Melodyne (which records and plays back from within the plugin, not the region).

I think what you would want to do here must depend on how you use Melodyne. Surely you would want the ability to get back to the unmelodyned audio.

If you are transferring the entire track to Melodyne, then IMO it's best to BIP to a new track. You then bypass melodyne and mute the original track, but you keep it for safety.

OTOH, if you are just melodyning the odd word, then I can see why you might want to replace the original region on the same track, however I would not do that if the region consists of an entire audiofile, as I would be nervous about losing the original pre melodyned audio.

If the region is just part of an audio file, other parts of which are is still existing an region/s on the track, then that would not really be a danger I suppose.

My mistake again! Didn't remember the OP was using melodyne. What he's really looking for is AudioSuite-type processing.

Upvote 0
[/QUOTE]
OTOH, if you are just melodyning the odd word, then I can see why you might want to replace the original region on the same track[/QUOTE]

if i explained further that i songwrite mostly with an outcome of having other muscians re-sing and re-play the guitar parts with of course their own personal inflections added; i hardly ever consider my own take a legacy item hence am comfortable with destructive editing which makes this -

[/QUOTE]What he's really looking for is AudioSuite-type processing.[/QUOTE]

a rather good description of how i use this function. i guess i do treat melodyne like an "external audio editor" (like bias peak for example)

you can imagine having 10 instances of melodyne all running over parts (without bouncing out audio and bypassing) creates absolute havoc if i suddenly get the urge to do some quick global arranging!!

thanks again for you input - its most appreciated

-the problem of creation of unwanted track is solved - but maybe bouncing back into the source track is not to be? still much time saved... Cheers!

Upvote 0
Back