Logic Pro 8 Loop Question

pianistguy

Logician
Hi, im working with Logic Pro 8. Im making a Celtic piano arrangement of the song I saw 3 ships. On Logic Im trying to make an accompaniment back ground to play along with it. I've found many Celtic Loops- Irish and Scottish loops that I can use.

This is my question---Since many of the loops differ in tempos, keys, and beats- i was wondering if there is a way to quantize the different loops so that they all match up with the same timings/rhythms etc.

I also see that there are midi and audio loops. The piano arr that I am making is pretty set in its rhythm without a lot of rebato, so if i got a set tempo going, a lot of the loops would follow that same tempo and timing- that is my hope- i want them to all adjust to the same timing. Is this possible? Is it possible to change the keys of the loop so that they are all on the same key as well?

also what is the best way to keep a loop going for a long time (longer than its original loop) so that it stays in time and can repeat itself over and over again without having to cut and paste it together.

Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, it is possible to alter the lengths (tempo) and transpose, with varying degrees of success re: the sound quality, but not quantise.

But before going into that, I would have to say that all of the above are achievable much more easily (much much more easily) with Logic 9.

If you want to stick with Logic 8, have you yet checked the manual on adjusting loop length to fit the tempo? Look into the Time and Pitch machine.

Upvote 0
Like Pete says, Logic 9 with flextime offers a lot more nuance and control. But in Logic 8, I would suggest converting the loops to Apple Loops. That way they will fit to your project tempo easily. You can even alter the key of them, but realistically be prepared for inconsistent results/quality.

Once they are apple loops and placed in your Arrange window, you can loop them from the region parameter box in the upper left.

Upvote 0
ok, thanks for the info, im trying to make them apple loops by saving them through the apple loop utility. but its not letting me save them. is this the best way to create apple loops?

Upvote 0
im still having trouble figuring out how to change the keys and tempos of the loops. Im trying it through apple loop utility but its not changing anything when i click the option thats supposed to put it in a new key

Upvote 0
ok in apple loop utility i got the key to change, but when i go to save the new loop on it it says- Can not save-Check the destination disk's available space and try again or choose a different location. How do i save it to a new destination? I have an external hard drive that has space but i dont see an option to save on it

Upvote 0
ok so i made apple loops and then tried to edit them with time and pitch machine- but then i clicked on it and it said, time and pitch machine can not do it because they are apple loops. so that doesn't work. and if i don't make them apple loops the time and pitch machine is light grey and wont let me click on it, so im stuck- what do i do now?

Upvote 0
im determined to figure this out- its been incredibly frustrating working on this for 6 hours today and still not being able to figure out anything

Upvote 0
im still having trouble figuring out how to change the keys and tempos of the loops. Im trying it through apple loop utility but its not changing anything when i click the option thats supposed to put it in a new key

Once they are apple loops, the tempo will follow the session tempo. And you can transpose from the region parameter box.

Upvote 0
It's in the upper left of the Arrange Window. See the screenshot enclosed.

Attachments

• Region parameter box.jpg
    Region parameter box.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 170
Upvote 0
Back