Logic Pro 9 Low Memory Problem

Nuevo

Logician
Im going to join in this discussion as I think I am encountering a memory problem w/PLAY, MOR by EW. I have 2 macs...G5/6GB/OSX 10.4.6/LP 7.2.3/RMEFF800..no problem running MOR...2.6 QUAD 10.5.8/8GB/LP9.0..

Works ok on the G5, on the Quad, after I hit a note between 3 to 5 times..the note disappears.... What I notice on the PLAY interface gui where it has CPU Usage//memory etc...On the G5, say if I load a lead guitar w/all of the parameters, the memory shoots up to say 90%..if I load a lesser guitar, the mem goes down to 21%..in other words..the mem usage changes with everything I load and every note I play...

The Quad...When I load any PLAY guitar instrument, the mem usage goes to 20%, it doesnt fluxuiate when I play the sample as it does on the G5..it just stays at 20%...after I strike a note say 4/5 times..its gone....I can faintly hear it if I hit the keyboard hard, but we dont want to do that....

Ive looked over this thread and have done the suggestions, went back and forth between the 2 macs and checked all settings, mem appears to be ok...how can I allocate more memory for this program? I have been searching for 2 days, and I cannot find anyone w/this problem...Is there a way to get this to use more memory? I have some other PLAY stuff, but am really hesitant to install it....

Thanks.

Yes I'm not sure if its a SL problem or L9 but the program is NOT releasing freed up ram unless you reboot Logic. Very broken IMHO. I feel your pain.

afavreau

Logician
RAM, not releasing? What is this?

Also, why would Activity Monitor show me more RAM used when I open an empty project of Logic or have all projects closed, than when I have a full project opened?

Andre

Nuevo

Logician
Im really stumped on the ram not releasing if that in fact, is what is happening...Im at a point where Im going to move the libs to the same drive the app is on, try the updates again....then see what happens..if it works Im blessed...In the last 2 days Ive been doing this and Ive worked a total of 2 hours..if this doesnt work, theres no uninstaller on disk 1..I will have to find out how to uninstall the whole thing...theres PLAY un directions, but not MOR...I havent heard back from EW techs in hours...they may have given up...I cant, so..

Nuevo

Logician
Ok, so the problem is memory..watching activity moniter, Lowdown
Open LP Real Mem 1.56 Virtual 2.27
Creat 16 Inst tks, 16 Audio tks Real 1.69//Virtual 1.70..thats good//
Open instances of EXS runing Project Sam Percs, drums, and K Player 2 for PS Symphobia..load Multi's, in n out, bang, no problems...play for awhile//
real mem@ 5.32// Virtual @ 2.06...still no problems at all. I dump all of my other instrmts// real mem @ 3.55 Virt 1.89..still good...open MOR/PLAY real mem 635 virtual 2.45....I start playing...I get about 7 or 8 notes into a lick...1 of the note drops out..play some more/more notes drop out...I have OPTION/PROG INFO Open..I hit reorganize memory...all of the notes play...7 or 8 notes later..dropouts....real mem gets up to 7.00 as they drop out...
So, since this only hapng w/ PLAY MOR and I want to use this product ( I also have Symphonic Orch Plt Plus that I just bought, but haven loaded..I afraid to load it...I did move the MOR samples/Lib to HD1 to see if that would help, but it didnt...

And I think I mentioned..on the G5 while playing a MOR sample, the MEMORY next to CPU usage on the gui moves as I play..goes up n down..on the Quad/LP9, it goes to a number when I load a sample, but doesnt page up n down as I play...just stays there..

Should I uninstall PLAY/MOR and start over?

My 2nd question, if I bump Logic to 9.01 or 9,02, will these address this problem at all???

Amazing, I can use this in a 3 year old G5 w/6 GB ram and I cant use it on a quad running 8GBmem....But I would appt any feedback I can get...

Thank you.

Nuevo

Logician
Hello..I dont use garageband...never even opened it..Im running Logic 9.0.0

Im wondering if bumping to 9.0.2 would help..either that or Im going to uninstall the PLAY player and reinstall it...I dont think I need to uninstall the MOR samples/library..

Thx.

afavreau

Logician
Well I don't see why you shouldn't upgrade to 9.0.2

Opening your plug-in any other host will help you see if the problem is related to Logic or your plug-in.

afavreau

Logician
when I installed it, I went directly to 9.0.2.
Since it's an update, not an upgrade, wouldn't it just eliminate potential bugs?

Nuevo

Logician
Im not sure..I would hope so..the only problem Im having is w/PLAY...appears a lot of EW user are...Im getting dropouts when using MOR if youre familiar w/that..Im going to do the bump to 02..see if that helps...appears that its memory related..

Nuevo

Logician
Ok, Im at 9.0.2., although I never did get PLAY/MOR to work..so I uninstalled it..
Im going to have to get PLAY on there though, I have to load EW Symphonic Orchestra..but Im going to take a step back for a few days..then come back, load PLAY/EWSO, make sure I update PLAY and hope it works..meanwhile back at the G5 ranch, Im working like normal...what a relieve after dealing with PLAY on the quad..

bobdemaa

Logician
Was talking with a client last night who is getting the memory errors occasionally. He seems to think it's related to Omnisphere which he uses a lot. he doesn't have Play installed... Which is not to say that Play doesn't also give that error.

Nuevo

Logician
I didnt get errors w/MOR/PLAY, Huge dropouts...I have Atmo on the G5, havent upgraded to Omni yet, but thats another one that I'll have to deal with...There are just certain plugs that I need to have, so I'll simply take them 1 at a time...I hear a lot about Omni problems... as I said I have Atmo and Ive never had any problems with that or any of the Spectra products I have on the G5..they work like a charm..

afavreau

Logician
I have Omnisphere, so I'll check that out, however I had to remove Atmosphere Wrapper and replace it with Omnisphere on my projects because it is unstable.

Atmosphere and Trilogy are very stable on on G4 and G5s, but on Intel Macs, you have to use the Wrappers, and they are not so stable. Imagine a plug-in that you cannot put a buffer below 512! So they eventually need to be replaced by Omnisphere and the new Trillian on a Intel Mac.

bobdemaa

Logician
Yeah, the wrappers blow, they were an interim solution until omni and Tril. But if we can sort out the Low Memory problem it might help others.

I've only used omni on a few projects, and only when mixing. I never had that issue occur, but let me know if you think that may be the source of the error.

bd

Colin Shapiro

Logician
I've been following this thread from the start, while working on a movie soundtrack in Logic 9.

At first, I had some Flex Time tracks and thought that these were causing the low memory alerts. Later, I removed all Flex Time tracks and still get the alerts.

I do have 2 instances of Omnisphere but can't relate the problems directly to them. I seem to get the warnings when a few things happen at once: eg I start playback and then change screensets.

Watching Activity Monitor occasionally, at no time is Logic ever near a 4 GB limit. I usually have 4-5 GB free RAM while running this project.

Could just be fixable bug........

afavreau

Logician
As mentioned before...

I couldn't use the the Drum Replacement feature because of Low Memory. This project had NO plug-ins. Only 35 audio tracks including 11 Flex. Not even 2 of my 4 GB Ram were in use with no other software opened. So I don't think Omni has anything to do with it.

However, when I reduced the project to only 8 flex drum tracks, I was able to use the Drum Replacement feature. But then why would eliminating 24 audio tracks + 3 flex tracks make the difference? Would audio tracks use RAM?!?

Maybe it was mostly because of the operation itself on a 5 minute drum track... That would confirm that some operations would use a lot of RAM.