Logic Pro 9 Low Memory Problem

Andre Favreau

Logician
OK! I'm in disbelief!

I've just spoke with Apple Logic Support, and it seems that all these "out of Memory" messages we get are "normal".

Man, I have 5 frozen audio Instruments tracks and only 2 open Plug-ins. I must admit I also have 35 audio tracks, but would that use all my 4 GB RAM? Is my situation normal?

Apple tells me that L9 takes more memory and it would be just the same if I had the most Powerful Mac Pro. L9 itself cannot use more than 4GB total.

Are you guys experimenting similar problems? Is my situation normal?

Thanks for your help!

Andre Favreau
They also tell me that to use more RAM, it is possible to use the standalone version of plug-ins with SoundFlower to route the Audio and the IAC driver to route the MIDI flow.

As mentioned before...

However, when I reduced the project to only 8 flex drum tracks, I was able to use the Drum Replacement feature. But then why would eliminating 24 audio tracks + 3 flex tracks make the difference? Would audio tracks use RAM?!?

Maybe it was mostly because of the operation itself on a 5 minute drum track... That would confirm that some operations would use a lot of RAM.

That was the premise of my original post... for some operations, Flex or the Drum Replacement feature must move the audio data into RAM, or at least a copy of the audio data. Flex is done in real time so it seems that Logic would be juggling considerable amounts of data when using multiple flex time tracks.

Howard

Upvote 0
I only removed the tracks from the arrange, not the bin.

My best understanding at this point would be that some audio operations (flex, drum replacement...) require a lot of RAM and removing my 24 audio and 3 flex tracks made the difference for me to be able to use drum replacement. That's what Colin seems to be saying.

Also, maybe it's an overall thing. Logic itself takes more ram + flex + Drum replacement + plug-ins are getting bigger and we are hitting the 32 bit wall sooner.

Upvote 0
Since Im new to 9 I just updated to 9.0.2 right off...
So far RMX/all Sages are working fine..have to setup a multi though, do it in 7 all the time, so as soon as I figure it out in 9 I'll start.
All Project Sam TS 1 and 2 and Symphobia work great.
Had to uninstall EW MOR..could not get that to work properly. EW told me to stream from memory instead of disk..Dont know if I have that option..
Have to install EW Symphony Orch and Im not looking forward to that, all day n I have to get work out, so Im going to have to pick a (long) day n pray it goes ok n I have better luck w/PLAY n I dont lose mamind in the process.

So far, I havent experienced any mem situations w/the plugs I have running on the quad.

Upvote 0
Back