Mac Mini DAW

vaporpark

Logician
hello,

I am a newcomer and this is my first post, so stick it to me if needed.

I have been looking at purchasing the Mac Mini and using it as my DAW in conjunction with Logic. I was considering the i7/2.6 or i7/2.3, but I am a bit unsure if the difference is enough to bother with. My needs are similar to many - virtual instruments, guitar, vocals etc. I know I will need to beef up the ram and pickup some external HDDs. So this brings me to ask a few basic questions.

1) For those who are using a Mac Mini as a DAW, are you happy?

2) Is it worth jumping from the 2.3 to the 2.6?

3) Should I change out the 5400 HD for a 7200/SSD/fusion/etc?

4) Any other woes that I need to be aware of regarding the Mini?

Any input whatsoever is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

Faster is better, especially when it comes to Logic Pro, so faster CPU, faster drives (5400 is too slow) consider more than 1 drive (1 for system, 1 for samples, 1 for recording is a good way to go).

Also, more ram, and run Logic in 64 bit mode.

Faster is better, especially when it comes to Logic Pro, so faster CPU, faster drives (5400 is too slow) consider more than 1 drive (1 for system, 1 for samples, 1 for recording is a good way to go).

Also, more ram, and run Logic in 64 bit mode.

Thanks for the reply. I figured I might pull the stock drive and replace it. I could always house it and use it for an external.

Logic in 64 bit? Advantages?

Thanks again.

I'm thinking about the mac mini but it doesn't have pcie slots for a Universal Audio card or an extra graphics card which I think I need because I like three monitors. I also worry about heat in the the little box. I'm not sure if my concerns are valid but that's what I'm worrying about.

I did spot a rather cool looking 1U rack mountable Mac mini enclosure that will give you a couple of PCIe slots, not full height though. You put your mini inside and it connects (internally) via thunderbolt, can find the link though...

Interesting. Thanks, I will look at that. So you still have the thunderbolt port available? And I wonder how it stays cool.

Hi, i have a Mac Mini, i7, 2.6G Processor, 16G RAM and a 1TB Fusion drive purchased November 2012.

I have two LED monitors running from it and a 15 way powered USB Hub.

I'm using Logic Pro 9 in 64-bit mode as I have a few memory hungry plugins such as omnisphere and Trilian and around 10 native instruments. I haven't hit the 16g limit yet!

I find it fast and very reliable. Not as heavily used as my old analogue studio but I have run little machine this for 4-5 hours and have not noticed any heat issues.

Hope this helps

Back