Logic Studio apps Mainstage 2 and output?

nomusicnolife

Hi, I'm trying to find an answer to the output using Mainstage 2.1.1 with a tube amplifier. Will the amplifier color or make the patches not sound as they are set when using headphones? I have been using powered PA speakers which are FR/FR but would like to use my amplifier. Are there any specific settings that can be set once on the amplifier to make all the patches sound as they do when using FR/FR speakers, through a PA or headphones? I attempted to use the effect input on the rear of the amplifier and got no output at all. When I plug in to the front like you would when plugging your guitar to the main input on the front it seems to effect the tone and sound of the patches. Anyone using a tube amp with Mainstage 2.1.1 with success?

Thanks for taking time to read this!

Hi, I'm trying to find an answer to the output using Mainstage 2.1.1 with a tube amplifier. Will the amplifier color or make the patches not sound as they are set when using headphones? I have been using powered PA speakers which are FR/FR but would like to use my amplifier. Are there any specific settings that can be set once on the amplifier to make all the patches sound as they do when using FR/FR speakers, through a PA or headphones? I attempted to use the effect input on the rear of the amplifier and got no output at all. When I plug in to the front like you would when plugging your guitar to the main input on the front it seems to effect the tone and sound of the patches. Anyone using a tube amp with Mainstage 2.1.1 with success?

Thanks for taking time to read this!

Tube amps will definitely affect the tone to some degree. The reason that tube amps are so coveted is the way that they naturally and pleasantly both warm and compress the sound. Even at clean settings, tube amps will still add a certain amount of natural compression. This is why tube amps are awesome, but it does mean that it will never be as flat as a PA system or solid state amp.

The effects loops of some tube amplifiers are often set up to need a complete circuit; in other words, the loop return will only be active if there is something plugged into the loop send. You could always try plugging a dummy plug into the loop send and see if that will let you use the loop return.

That still won't give you a completely flat response, however. Even if you bypass the tubes in the preamp section, your signal will still go through the tubes in the power section.

The bottom line is that you are trying to use a device specifically designed to sound colored. If you want a flat, pristine amplified signal you're best off with a PA or solid state amplifier like a keyboard amp.

Hope that helps,
Orren

Back