Logic Studio apps Mainstage equipment?

Robert Wilson

Logician
Hi folks,

I thought it might be worthwhile to compare what equipment we use with Mainstage.

My current set-up is my Macbook, connected via USB to an M-Audio Ozone combined MIDI controller keyboard and audio interface.
Although it's quite limited it does give the convenience of somewhere to plug in my mic and guitar as well as controlling effects and playback from one box.

So what do you lot use?

Macbook 2.2GHz Santa Rosa with 4 GB ram, Behringer FCB1010, Faderfox LV1, RME Fireface400, Akai EWI4000s, Alto Flute with Technics fly mic, line in electric guitar. Mobius freeware Looper/ Live sampler for on-the-fly recording. This is very close to a dream set-up for me. I just don't like that MS2 blocks computer key commands for third-party plug-ins, so I still have to use MS1 on stage. But I'm working on a MS2 setup; transferring my Mobius key commands into external MIDI controller objects for MS2. I need to patch up another MIDI controller to in order to use MS2, a Faderfox LX1 (the one with only buttons)

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Mainstage 2.
RME Fireface 800, MOTU MidiExpress.

Acoustic nylonstring Guitar with a mic and a Fishman piezo system. Both go to a FMR preamp and compressor and to Mainstage. A DI-box between the piezo preamp and the FMR.

WX5 wind controller, wireless MIDI to Mainstage, in parallel to a MU100R synth and audio via DI-box to Mainstage.

Electric Guitar with MIDI pickup. Audio via DAV preamp and compressor to Mainstage. MIDI to a Axon 100 converter, from there MIDI to Mainstage and audio via DI-box to Mainstage.

Electric bass through a Sansamp RBI to Mainstage, in parallel to a Rocktron Blue Thunder and DI-box to Mainstage.

Electric fretless bass with MIDI pickup. Audio through a Sansamp RBI to Mainstage. MIDI to a Roland GR-20 converter, from there to Mainstage and audio from the GR-20 via DI-box to Mainstage.

Microphone through DAV preamp/compressor to Mainstage.

Doepfer R2M, MIDI to Mainstage.

Behringer FCB1010 foot controller, I plan to add a second foot controller.

Up to four musicians can play simultaneously over this system. All hardware is in two rack cases, including a Furman line conditioner. Mixing is done in Mainstage or via a separate 16-channel mixer (also in a case). The PA receives normally a stereo signal, if the mixer is involved I can deliver up to 3 different stereo signals.

I'm new to Mainstage and am configuring my setup for a prog rock band a la Ozric Tentacles. I'm using:

Mac Book Pro (17", 2.8GHz, 4 GB RAM)
Apogee Duet (1 input for guitar, 1 for mic)
TC Helicon Voice One processor (in-line with mic input)
Behringer FC-1010 foot controller
M-Audio Axiom keyboard to control soft synths

I'm trying to make the system as minimal as possible as I'm sick of a lifetime of hernia riak from transporting too much gear.

Hi Per,

Behringer FCB1010,

I'm looking at getting one of these but it means I'll need a new MIDI i/f as the M-Audio only has MIDI out.

Mobius freeware Looper/ Live sampler for on-the-fly recording.

I hadn't heard of this software but have now noticed a audio clip featuring it on your web-page. Looks pretty cool.

This is very close to a dream set-up for me. I just don't like that MS2 blocks computer key commands for third-party plug-ins, so I still have to use MS1 on stage. But I'm working on a MS2 setup; transferring my Mobius key commands into external MIDI controller objects for MS2.

I wasn't aware of this either.
Thanks for the info.

Hmm, the Behringer FCB1010 does seem to be a popular beasty, right enough!
Certainly not the best one but a good price and two pedals. And you can buy it everywhere. There is a free Mac Editor available btw, called iFCB. Does not work with every MIDI interface but makes programming much easier (haven't tried it under Snow Leopard yet).

i want one of those behringer foot controllers... what is this iFCB?
iFCB is a software editor for the Behringer FCB1010 controller.

deanglover said:
and what others are there, i know there's a roland one;
In the class of the FCB1010 are several other controllers. Roland, Yamaha, Rocktron for example. With and without pedals.

i want one of those behringer foot controllers... what is this iFCB?
iFCB is a software editor for the Behringer FCB1010 controller.

deanglover said:
and what others are there, i know there's a roland one;
In the class of the FCB1010 are several other controllers. Roland, Yamaha, Rocktron for example. With and without pedals.

I just ordered a Nobels MF1 MIDI Foot Controller, which I've no idea if it will even work with MS. Will let you all know how I get on with it.
http://www.nobels.com/cgi-bin/products/show.pl?e_mf-1

I just ordered a Nobels MF1 MIDI Foot Controller, which I've no idea if it will even work with MS. Will let you all know how I get on with it.
:eeek:
Only Program Changes or 8 notes, no Control Changes and no pedal connection? This was not a good idea if you want anything else than changing patches. But if this is all you want, it will definitely work.

:eeek:
Only Program Changes or 8 notes, no Control Changes and no pedal connection? This was not a good idea if you want anything else than changing patches.

I take it that means the switches can't be assigned to, for example, a transport control?
Can't the 8 notes even be assigned to Ultrabeat sequences the way keys on a keyboard controller can?

But if this is all you want, it will definitely work.

I got it pretty cheap on eBay. I guess it will make playing live a little easier, if nothing else.

You can do everthing a Program Change can do in Mainstage and this is not much apart from changing patches (which is necessary though). I don't know about notes for Ultrabeat but according to Nobels' manual notes are a special mode and it reads as if you have only 8 notes in this mode and nothing else.

If you record in Logic you can use the board as a remote control because Logic lets you do much more with Program Changes.

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply:
You can do everthing a Program Change can do in Mainstage and this is not much apart from changing patches (which is necessary though).

Ah, right. Oh well, better than nothing I suppose.

I don't know about notes for Ultrabeat but according to Nobels' manual notes are a special mode and it reads as if you have only 8 notes in this mode and nothing else.

Yes, I was hoping I could assign these notes to Ultrabeat patterns for triggering on stage. Looks like it may not be possible as Ultrabeat's pattern range is from C-1 to B0.

Oops.

If you record in Logic you can use the board as a remote control because Logic lets you do much more with Program Changes.

I do record in Logic so I may well end up using it for that. Otherwise it'll probably end up back on eBay! :brkwl::D

OK, I've just connected up the MF-1 and have to say I'm pleasantly surprised. This despite two pedals not working - 'bank up' and No.1.
So far I've managed to assign 'bank down' to change patch, No.6 to Play/Stop on the playback plug in and the other 8 pedals to MIDI notes c-1 upwards, assigned to Ultrabeat patterns.

This is a huge step forward for me.

Unfortunately I don't have a portable MIDI interface with MIDI IN so it'll be confined to the home studio for now.

My current set-up is my Macbook, connected via USB to an M-Audio Ozone combined MIDI controller keyboard and audio interface.
Although it's quite limited it does give the convenience of somewhere to plug in my mic and guitar as well as controlling effects and playback from one box.

I've now added an Mbox, Yamaha GO44 (audio/MIDI) and a Nobels MF-1.
This gives me four inputs and additional MIDI control.
I still use the Ozone as a controller but am no longer using the audio inputs and don't need to connect it to the USB port, just take the MIDI out to the MIDI in on the MF-1, which in turn goes to the GO44.

I have a feeling this set up will continue to evolve...... :eeek:

I just got a fcb1010 and i downloaded ifcb but I cant seem to figure out what I'm doing trying to get it set up to work with mainstage. It's no problem to learn commands in logic. I really want to use MS though can anybody help me get it set up with the basics. Can I just upload a sysex file?

I just got a fcb1010 and i downloaded ifcb but I cant seem to figure out what I'm doing trying to get it set up to work with mainstage.
There are a couple of presets. I use a neutral one: hold the switches 1+6 down while the FCB1010 boots. But the device sends by default only program changes and these are only useful for patch changes in Mainstage. You have to program your own messages. I found that notes work quite well.

Just a hint:
Let for example the upper row send program changes and the lower row notes. Or vice versa. That way you can switch between 5 patches in one FCB bank and enable/disable effects in the other row. Or take only 4 buttons per row and leave the remaining two for tap tempo, tuner, whatever you need.

It's a matter of organization, you have to think about your demands. There is no universal way.

Thanks,

That should work for me. I wanted to use the bottom pedals to trigger stomp boxes on and off and the top pedals to set up a looper. I wanted to use the bank pedals to toggle through my presets and the expression pedals one as a Wha and one as a volume pedal. Does all that sound possible and how hard would that be to set up?

Thanks,

Aaron :hippy:

Back