Logic Studio apps Mainstage Midi Output to Logic?

celoranta

EXTRA! EXTRA! READ ALL ABOUT IT! NEWB ASKS NAIVE QUESTION ON SOFTWARE FORUM!!!

Ok, with that out of the way...

I know my MIDI and DAW stuff, but cross-software routing is difficult for me to digest.

I enjoy Mainstage for its MIDI layering interface & processing, as well as for its convenient visual representation of physical MIDI interfaces.
I prefer Logic as a VST host and for its straightforward granular I/O routing.

Is it possible to route my physical MIDI controllers into Mainstage (where I can layer my keyboard performance data to my heart's content) and then route that layered/processed MIDI performance data virtually into Logic's channel strips, where I could use it to trigger virtual instruments on channels displayed alongside my live instrument VST effects plugins?

Thanks to any who can help

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
Mainstage does not output the MIDI data stream. The Plogue Bidule Plugin, which could send your MIDI to virtual ports, does not work in Mainstage (at least no in mine).

As an alternative to Mainstage you may think about GigPerformer. It's also built for stage. Fast, better MIDI, layering, free routing etc.

celoranta

Mainstage does not output the MIDI data stream. The Plogue Bidule Plugin, which could send your MIDI to virtual ports, does not work in Mainstage (at least no in mine).

As an alternative to Mainstage you may think about GigPerformer. It's also built for stage. Fast, better MIDI, layering, free routing etc.
Thanks for the excellent advice regarding GigPerformer. It seems to meet most of my needs.
The only thing I can't easily glean from the marketing material is whether this can handle multiple performers within one instance. (We have four keyboards, e-drums, and VST effects for 3 voices, guitar, and bass.) I can wrangle my MIDI messages in a dozen ways before they reach the software (BOME boxes, BMT on the Mac, and a iConnectivity Mio10, as well as my own arduino controller code) so sending granular control is not a problem. The biggest issue with Mainstage was allowing one performer to switch from patch to patch, while allowing the other players the freedom to switch to and from their own patches. With Mainstage, each permutation required its own patch, which is unwieldly and very quickly exhausts all available patches. Does gigperformer address this?

Finally, has anyone on this forum used Gigperformer with 32Lives and Mobius looper? This was my main reason for sticking with Logic. It seems that 32Lives will work (yes, I'm staying with Mac Mojave,) but I'd love to know that Mobius integration is plausible before I plunk down money for yet another piece of software.

EDIT - I downloaded the trial. Mobius loads very nicely, although I have not been able to try it yet.

Last edited:

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
I don't use GigPerformer yet. Just tried the trial a while ago and talked a little to the programmer and his plans. I suggest to ask your specific questions in their forum.