Logic Pro 9 Making Play 2 and Kontakt 4 co-exist in Logic Pro 9.1.

Jay Asher

Logician
Here are some things you need to know:

Many of you already know that because of the way their respective memory servers work, it is important to load the Play 2 software instruments first.

Fine, but what happens when you open a past project or a template? How does Logic Pro 9 decide which to load first?

The answer is it follows the track list from the bottom up. So if you have 50 software instrument tracks it starts with track 50 and then subsequently loads up to track 1.

So therefore before you save the project or template, you want to drag the tracks that use Play 2 to the bottom of the track list.

If you are using Vienna Ensemble Pro to connect to the 32 bit server with Play stuff and the 64 bit server with Kontakt stuff, make sure that the VE Pro software instrument tracks connecting to the 32 bit server are below the 64 bit ones in the track list.

I hope this is helpful.

I did a quick little YouTube video with the same info.

First one I have tried so be gentle and try not to be distracted by my sheer physical beauty.

[YOUTUBE]nfeh0Ze5_Gk[/YOUTUBE]

Upvote 0
Nicely done Jay. I took the liberty of embedding your video with the youtube plugin - hope that is OK for you.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
DAMN! where did you ever learn about that? That is such a handy thing to know (even though I can't imagine most of the bigger composers changing their template to reflect this).

I guess a better question would be: how can one appear to have the VI's in the arrange window, but still open in the correct version? thinking as I'm typing, I suppose one could create midi multis going to a hidden instrument track. If you have everything bussed to a stem output that could work... hmm...

Well I owe you a lunch sometime... we're both in LA, call me sometime and I will do that... promise.

Upvote 0
OK it turns out that my friend from Apple and I mean different things when we say "lower" in the track list. I think of track 25 as being lower than track 1, he thinks the opposite. :brkwl:

So it loads first track 1, then track, 2, etc. So you want the Play 2 tracks err.... early in the track list above the Kontakt 4 tracks.

The corrected video is up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA0lCsJfb3M

Upvote 0
Is this still necessary when running in 64 bit mode assuming one is running the 64 bit version of Kontakt?

I assume you mean the memory server? AFAIK, yes and no. No, to access more RAM and virtual memory, yes, to cut down on loading times between projects with the same Kontakt instruments.

Upvote 0
Back