Logic Pro 9 Making tempo "breathe" a little

mus0r

I have posted this question a few places and no one ever seems to have an answer. Hopefully you all can help.

I make primarily metal/industrial songs and I am looking for a way to make the tempo of my recorded tracks less rigid. Ideally, what I would like to do is track everything out and then record a live drum track with which to set the tempo, giving the previously recorded/sequenced tracks a more human vibe to it.

I am pretty sure this is possible, I'm just having a hell of a time figuring out the proper way to set it. Previous attempts have led to weird tempo problems with the audio tracks (the midi sequences seemed fine).

Any input from the experts would be helpful :)

Sort of a vague request, exactly how were the drum tracks created?

For me I don't quantize midi parts, more of a human feel.

That doesn't mean I don't clean up mistakes.

:cool:

Upvote 0
Ideally, what I would like to do is track everything out and then record a live drum track with which to set the tempo, giving the previously recorded/sequenced tracks a more human vibe to it.

If I understand correctly, the basic tempo set down by the initial recording/sequencing won't change, but the drummer is there to make it less rigid within that tempo.

So you find a nice loose drummer, record them, then use that track as one big groove template which you apply (in varying percentages maybe) to the other tracks.

Upvote 0
Ideally, what I would like to do is track everything out and then record a live drum track with which to set the tempo, giving the previously recorded/sequenced tracks a more human vibe to it.

This is a somewhat unusual approach. In, as you say, "tracking everything out", are you playing to a click, sticking with Logic's bars and beats? If so, that is what will primarily determine the tempo. You can of course change that at any time, using beat mapping or tempo tracks.

If you then add live drums, what shall the drummer play to? Presumably, the arrangement as it exists? As Pete mentioned, if he is capable of loosening things up by playing on, in front of or behind the beat as may be artistically desired, that is great and may achieve what you are looking for. These are skills that not all drummers master, mostly having a drummer playing tight with the click is a very good achievement in itself.

I am pretty sure this is possible

The big tools Logic offers are beat mapping, allowing you to have the song tempo follow something such as live drum tracks (which, in contrast to the situation you describe, would normally already exist) or flextime, allowing you to bend, shorten, stretch recorded audio as may be wished. Both are very powerful tools, and especially Flextime requires quite an investement in time and willingness to learn how to get the most out of it's many subtleties.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Another thought

As I am not a drummer, I would tackle this problem a different way. I would lay down some basic patterns in a midi drum track, use the humanize function and then, if that weren't enough, make slight changes to the overall tempo of the tune. Some gradual semi random adjustment, might give it the life you are looking for.

Upvote 0
If you insist on recording the drums afterwards, then after you're sure the drums feel right, you have to edit your audio and midi to be locked to the drum track. This is incredibly time consuming, but it will work. Instead of editing to Logic's bars and beat grid you have to edit to the drum track. It is far easier to do basic sequencing, have the drummer play, and build the track around him. But you can do it the way I've described

Upvote 0
Simon & Garfunkel's "Sounds of Silence" has the drums added afterwards. There's sure as hell some "breathing" going on there!

And it sold shedloads...

Roger Jackson
Film Music
OXFORD UK

Upvote 0
Back