mapping instruments

Rohan

Logician
Hi, I've just purchased the stylus RMX sound library from spectrasonics but I am unable to map the 8 tracks in the RMX mixer to tracks in the arrange window in Logic 9. I click on new track and then multi-timbral and select 8, and I do get 8 tracks, but they all give the same overall signal of the RMX and if I mute one they all get muted (they do not act independently). They also do not show up as individual tracks in the mixer. So how does one map/link individual tracks from Logic to individual tracks in the RMX mixer?

would really appreciate if someone could help.....

thanks
Rohan

Instantiate the multi output version of RMX.

In the arrange window, create 8 tracks with the same instrument (New with same channel strip/instrument). they should all be set to go to RMX.

in the track mixer, you will see the little + on the lower right hand side of the fader. Press that 7 times are you get the outputs from RMX, A through H I think.

Now, start your song, and select the first slot where you can make a loop in RMX. Select a loop, and drag the midi data to the first midi track you made earlier in Logic. Next, select the second part in RMX and when you find a good loop, drag it to the second track you made. The midi track number for the data will be 2... that is why you should be sure that ALL your RMX tracks midi assignment is ALL, not a track number.

So now we have 2 loops. Open the RMX mixer, and select the output for the second track, and then set it to B... in your Logic mixer, you should now see audio in the second track (which actually is an aux return).

Continue until you have all 8 slots filled in RMX. making sure that each part in RMX is assigned to a different output from RMX back into Logic.

Some things to be aware of: Select 1 track and select/solo the region, not the track...
also, the Aux returns only exist in the track mixer. If you want to have them show up in the arrange window you can either select the "Create arrange tracks for selected channel strips) and it will make new tracks, OR select an aux in the track mixer, and turn on the automation and move something: it will also make a new track for that aux in the arrange window.

There you go, hope that helps

Hi, I've just purchased the stylus RMX sound library from spectrasonics but I am unable to map the 8 tracks in the RMX mixer to tracks in the arrange window in Logic 9. I click on new track and then multi-timbral and select 8, and I do get 8 tracks, but they all give the same overall signal of the RMX and if I mute one they all get muted (they do not act independently). They also do not show up as individual tracks in the mixer. So how does one map/link individual tracks from Logic to individual tracks in the RMX mixer?

would really appreciate if someone could help.....

thanks
Rohan

Hi Rohan,

George gave you a great detailed explanation on how to set it up and get it working. You are making the not uncommon mistake of confusing multi timbral with multi output. When you initially create that new multi timbral software instrument and choose 8 in the new tracks dialogue box, you are creating 8 separate tracks in the Arrange Window, each with a new MIDI channel, all associated with the same single software instrument. That's why you only see one track in the mixer. It represents the overall software instrument that is hosting the 8 separate MIDI channels. Each of your eight parts in RMX corresponds to these 8 cloned Arrange Window tracks.

Routing each of those 8 parts to separate outputs is something else. George explained how to use the plus button to create the aux tracks needed to receive the discreet signals from RMX, which you set up on it's mixer page with the A through H assignments.

You don't actually need the aux tracks in the Arrange Window unless you want to automate them.

Thanks George and Eli, things are much clearer now and I've set it up properly. Thank you for your help!

Rohan

Back