Logic Pro 9 MASTERING - HOW TO BEGIN????

ncurtis

Logician
OK.
I have a track recorded and wish to do a reasonable mastering job using Logic 9. So I go to youtube and 'LYNDA Training video' and the screenshots show a single track waveform which clearly represents a stereo track version of a recorded song. The question is, how do I turn my 20 odd track song into a stereo track to begin compressing, limiting etc. I tried bouncing the track as an 'aiff' file which popped up and played in itunes, but when I tried loading that aiff file into logic, it was 'greyed out' and wouldn't load. Please help me!!!

The short version...

Oh, and then there are issues like room acoustics, quality ($$$) of your monitors, experienced ears, etc. And I'm still talking about home mastering. :)

Attachments

• Mastering in Logic_Waveburner.pdf
    56.5 KB · Views: 443
Upvote 0
Thanks for the chart, CSeye!

Very concise chart. Raises a few questions regarding both the "Pre-mastering signal processing" and the "Pre-master file bounce to disk" -- A little help would be appreciated...

Have not used this method previously, but it sounds good.

1) Is the idea to bounce the final mix to stereo, and then re-import it back into Logic, but break it into two non-interleaved mono files?

2) And then subsequently bounce each mono (i.e., left and right non-interleaved) region out of Logic?

3) And finally import the two (L & R) mono files into Waveburner, and subsquently slide one under the other so their start points line up?

Upvote 0
Hi,
No to questions 2 and 3.

Question 1. Mix each song to interleaved stereo in Logic with processing on tracks but not on the master bus. Bounce to 24 bit, no dither etc. Then import these interleaved stereo files into Logic, one song per track. Arrange the songs in the order that you want the listen to experience. (You can skip this last step if you want to do it Waveburner.)

The purpose of this is ease of comparing volume levels song to song. If needed, place a Gain plug-in on a given song track to increase it's overall volume to be similar to the other tunes. (I'd put a multimeter in the last slot of the main output bus to be able to quickly view track level per song as you mute/solo the tracks).

Specific eq can be added to each stereo file per track if needed.

Place whatever mastering plug-ins on the main output bus, and when ready, bounce each stereo track to 24 bits, only now with processing but still without fades.

At this point the overall volume and dynamics of the whole listening experience should be as intended for the listener.

Now place all of these processed (but still not dithered ) stereo files in Waveburner in order. Overlap any tracks where you want cross fades to occur if needed. Create the Fades in and out in Waveburner, set for 16 bits and choose dither. Burn to disk.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this.
The stumbling block is the opening phrase in your table:
'Bounce mix to stereo'
Could you talk me through this and how to open it in Logic.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this.
The stumbling block is the opening phrase in your table:
'Bounce mix to stereo'
Could you talk me through this and how to open it in Logic.

To clarify, In Logic means steps to be completed in Logic before moving the files to Waveburner. So, Bounce Mix to Stereo is the first step to complete in Logic. Sorry for the confusion. I made the chart as a quick review for personal use.

Check out "Bouncing Your Project" in the Logic Pro 9 User Manual available under the Help menu.

Upvote 0
OK.
The question is, how do I turn my 20 odd track song into a stereo track to begin compressing, limiting etc. I tried bouncing the track as an 'aiff' file which popped up and played in itunes, but when I tried loading that aiff file into logic, it was 'greyed out' and wouldn't load. Please help me!!!

Uncheck "Add to iTunes Library" in the bounce window.

To back up a bit here, Mastering is a process that involves processing a collection of tunes for a more consistent listening experience, not putting the frosting on a single song in isolation.

The mechanics of mastering are easy. Producing musical results takes time and experience.

When bouncing, you could add "stereo_mix1 to the actual title of your tune to identify that it is 24 bits and without processors on the master bus.

When have you a collection of stereo mix tunes that you want to master for a CD, then you can bring them into a blank Logic project via the Bin: Audio Files>Add Audio Files, drag them into Logic from Finder. Put each song on its own track so you can freely process songs individually as needed (boost or decrease volume so that it's on par with the other tunes, roll of eq. etc)

At this point, the information provided in my chart should start to make sense.

Upvote 0
Great stuff CSeye, Im a total novice when it comes to mastering and this is a huge help.
Just gotta train my ears now to the dark art of mastering :)

Upvote 0
Back