Metronome click out of sync w virtual drum track

grifftone

Logician
Hello. I constructed a virtual drum track in a new Logic project using Superior Drummer 3. Upon trying to overdub acoustic instuments, the playback of logic metronome click is out of sync. The metronome click track plays back annoyingly early compared to the virtual drum track. All Logic project plugins are deactivated (except for superior drummer). I've tried re-booting and multiple combinations of settings and latency compensations within the logic prefs. I finally achieved acceptable sync between existing virtual drum track and metronome click by delaying click by 48ms. FYI -There is nothing else going on in this Logic session. Just the virtual drum track and metronome/click. There are no compressors or other plugins activated. 48khz, 24bit, AIFF, I/O buffer 64, plugin latency compensation-off, playback pre-roll-off, low latency mode-off.

What am I doing wrong? Can't this be simpler ? Thanks to any & all for help & advice !

Mac Mini 3.2 GHz i7, 64GB ram, Logic Pro X 10.5.0, Metric Halo LIO-8 v.6.0, MH Driver v.2.0.68, MHlink,

Well, it's quite simple, actually. You're not hearing the click early, you're hearing the drums late. That lateness is called latency. Since you're using a plugin, you are experiencing plugin latency. There is a preference to compensate for that plugin latency. It is called plugin latency compensation. You should enable it.

Also, I'm just assuming here that your drums are quantized correctly to begin with. Double check that you're actually spot on the grid with the drum hits.

Thanks for your reply, Christian. I have tried playing back the virtual drum track and the click/metronome track with the Logic plugin latency compensation on all three available settings in the preferences, but none of these latency compensation settings make the metronome sit in the pocket without actually delaying the click audio in a workaround. I did not quantize or edit any drum patterns. There are stock preprogrammed beats that I dragged from superior drummer beat library straight into my logic session. FYI - these are very straight basic 4/4 beats. No shuffle feel, laid-back, etc.

Ok. On to find the culprit.
- Any plugins are not just bypassed, but actually not there, right ?
- Leave the PLC on All.
- Can you confirm that manually placed hits from SD3 line up ?
- If not, can you confirm that manually placed hits in Logic's Drum kit Designer line up ?

Back