Logic Pro 9 MIDI controller numbers for Logic Plugins

Gio

Logician
Hello everybody,
How can I find out what MIDI controller number is assigned to the various knobs and faders in Logic's plugins, like ES2 Sculpture, and the others.
I'm trying to assign a controller value on my keyboard knobs so I can automate Cutoff, Resonance, Attack, Decay and so on.
Is there a list somewhere? or does Logic have a "learn" midi controller assignment page?
Much appreciated
Ciao
Gio

There is a window on controller assignments (command K is default to open it). You can do your own mapping there and never have to program your controller.

It goes from pretty simple (easy view) to kind of complex (expert view). I think the manual does a good job describing the techniques involved. That's a good place to start - and a lot easier on me than trying to type out a procedure.

Upvote 0
Ditto on the supplied documentation as a useful source of instruction.

Here's another approach: http://www.appkats.com/Videos.html
Watch videos 1 through 4.

This is an inexpensive Environment add-on that offers ease of set up and parameter adjustment.

My attachment shows three modules hooked up to a single EXS 24, controlled via 3 faders on my Korg NanoKontrol.

Attachments

• TLI 3.jpg
    TLI 3.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 178
Upvote 0
I saved a laptop project set up with AppKat modules on an external drive, and opened it on a desk top Mac Pro with the NanoKontrol hooked up. It worked!

I then opened a 2008 vintage L8 project in L9, imported the Environment layer with the EXS24 AK modules. Hook ups from the Clicks and Ports Input View to the modules, and from the Transformers to the Instrument were completed. The NanoKontrol was able to controller the EXS 24 parameters.

Both of these Macs share the same Korg editor assignment for the NanoKontrol. I'm not sure if Logic would recognize the controller without going through the tedious but otherwise relatively easy controller set up process that Logic offers. I can see some portability advantage of using the AppKat TLI without possibly having to go through a very specific controller set up process in Logic.

Hopefully others will clarify if Logic will respond to a "generic" controller during the "Learn" process of using the AK environment modules.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if Logic would recognize the controller without going through the tedious but otherwise relatively easy controller set up process that Logic offers.
Logic recognizes the controller anyway, otherwise you would not be able to use the Controller Assignments. The second and much older method to control Logic is via the Environment. You use this when you need to process the incoming MIDI events and not just map them to parameters.

Upvote 0
Logic recognizes the controller anyway, otherwise you would not be able to use the Controller Assignments. The second and much older method to control Logic is via the Environment. You use this when you need to process the incoming MIDI events and not just map them to parameters.

Peter,
Thanks for clarifying that.

The AppKat modules do allow some filtering and parameter adjustments of the input signal as you mention. I bought them several months ago but just didn't have the time to learn how to use them until recently. Very easy to use.

Upvote 0
Omg. Thanks sooo much (3 years later) for this post! I literally was set to begin 'rolling my own' assignments for the 3 Nanokontrol's I have in order to 'break out' the parameters to at least 3 or 4 Logic-supplied vi's, and was just beginning to realize the (daunting) scale of this effort, when I thought I'd goog a few keywords for ES2 mapping tips which is how I stumbled on to this thread and then the AK site. Holy-moley, for a few $$ I can save myself hours maybe DAYS of manual labor and troubleshooting/adjustment by getting the AK bundle. Words don't do justice...thanks again for turning me/us onto this site, CSeye!

Ditto on the supplied documentation as a useful source of instruction.

Here's another approach: http://www.appkats.com/Videos.html
Watch videos 1 through 4.

This is an inexpensive Environment add-on that offers ease of set up and parameter adjustment.

My attachment shows three modules hooked up to a single EXS 24, controlled via 3 faders on my Korg NanoKontrol.

Upvote 0
Holy-moley, for a few $$ I can save myself hours maybe DAYS of manual labor and troubleshooting/adjustment by getting the AK bundle. Words don't do justice...thanks again for turning me/us onto this site, CSeye!

You're very welcome.

The TLI bundle is money well spent as it will enhance the power of your Nanocontrol to easily manipulate SI parameters in Logic.

Upvote 0
quick question on these TLI mods

Hey CSeye, (or any TLI module-users out there)...

I've noticed that my modules don't have module-parameter labels on them (like the 'Learn' or 'Bypass' button labels) just those labels printed directly on a parameter. I have to keep referring back to their website to know what mod-parameter is acting on the input data.

The modules work fine, just a bit annoying to have to go back and forth while wiring things up, and I wondered whether it was me, or whether other users had the same lack of labels?

(PS: I don't think AK is active anymore, their site page still reads 2009, as does their last 'Latest News' blog roll...and no email address)

Upvote 0
Hey CSeye, (or any TLI module-users out there)...

I've noticed that my modules don't have module-parameter labels on them (like the 'Learn' or 'Bypass' button labels) just those labels printed directly on a parameter. I have to keep referring back to their website to know what mod-parameter is acting on the input data.

The modules work fine, just a bit annoying to have to go back and forth while wiring things up, and I wondered whether it was me, or whether other users had the same lack of labels?

(PS: I don't think AK is active anymore, their site page still reads 2009, as does their last 'Latest News' blog roll...and no email address)

Looks like you're right. No recent activity at the website.
And no Learn or Bypass labels. But the On Off/Learn/Bypass layout is consistent within the modules.

Upvote 0
Back