Logic Pro (X) MIDI in Aux Tracks

bayswater

Logician
Going through a Groove# Logic X video, I thought I heard something about placing MIDI regions in an AUX track. I tried it in L9, and found that I could in fact add a MIDI region to an AUX track and put Notes in it. But I'm confused: why would you do this? Does the MIDI play somewhere?

There is a GREAT reason to use it: if you are using a multi timbral/multi output soft synth (like Kontakt, or Omnisphere for example) you can use a single aux track for both the MIDI and for mixing.

One of my biggest complaints about using Logic for multi timbral/multi output VIs is that you needed two separate tracks for the MIDI data and for mixing. Now you can use one aux track to record and edit your MIDi on and also put plug-ins on to process the individual audio stream from the VI.

It makes sense to me, particularly if you are using any sort of automation on your multi output instruments. Previously, you would need to assign the aux track to the Arrange Window in addition to the MIDI track. Not you just do it all on the one Aux.

Upvote 0
Thanks Eli. I was hoping you'd say something.

But I'm still confused. Is the functionality you describe new to Logic X? Because I can put MIDI data in an Aux in Logic 9, but there doesn't seem to be any way to assign the track so that the MIDI will play notes in a VI.

You did briefly mention this in the video I was watching, but didn't spend much time explaining it's setup or use.

As useful as this might be, it's far from intuitive unless I'm missing something. Is there a source document that explains its setup and use?

Upvote 0
Is the functionality you describe new to Logic X?

No. It was introduced in one of the latter 9.1.x releases; I can't remember which one exactly.

Because I can put MIDI data in an Aux in Logic 9, but there doesn't seem to be any way to assign the track so that the MIDI will play notes in a VI.

Create aux channel strips using the + button on a multi output instance of a third party VI. Then control click the aux channel strips in the mixer to put them in the Arrange Window. Once there, you can set the MIDI channel of the Aux track in the Inspector. Set it to correspond to the MIDI channel of the part you want to use it for in your multi timbral third party VI.

As useful as this might be, it's far from intuitive unless I'm missing something. Is there a source document that explains its setup and use?

It's not the conventional way of working with multi timbral/multi output VIs, but I personally find it to be very elegant. One little "gottcha" to be aware of though: If you use this kind of a setup in a summing stack, you won't be able to play back regions on the main track and have it layered by all the instruments contained in the stack.

And no, there's no specific detailed documentation on this that I am aware of. That's why the videos are valuable :)))

Upvote 0
Thanks Eli. It's strange but useful I guess I better renew for another month of unlimited access at Groove3 and check the tips videos again to see what else I've missed.

Upvote 0
IMHO it's useful for anyone who uses multi timbral / multi output VIs and likes to have access to the processing (or routing) on the individual outputs from the Inspector.

Upvote 0
I've just watched the video where you detail this again, and tried it out in L9. Useful and convenient, yes. Innovative too. But I think Apple will have to clean up the channel type definitions, and UI in a future version. Calling it an Aux channel, leaving out the record button, and so on, is a bit kludgy.

Upvote 0
I agree; it's sort of a "sneaking in through the back door" kind of thing. But it is an elegant workflow idea. And will be great if they can clean up the front end of it all.

Upvote 0
I know this is an ancient thread but it’s relevant to an issue I’m having. I just set this up in a project that uses a large orchestral template so that I can control the individual channels of a multi output VI (in the main window) separately in terms of mute and solo as well as effects plugins and bus routings. The project uses the VEPro plugin connected to a slave PC running the VEPro server, latest version of Logic. Since I did this I have been getting system overloads whereas when the midi tracks were assigned to the channels of the multi in the main window as normal, with the relevant aux channels in the mixer, I got no overloads. So I’m wondering if creating tracks for those aux channels and placing the midi on them in the main window actually puts more pressure on the CPU. Is this likely?

Upvote 0
I think this is related to this topic. I'm wondering how aux track midi notes on a multi-out VI trigger the instrument track. E.g. in the pic I have drum kit designer on an instrument channel (track 2, midi channel 3) and the pattern is on an aux channel (track 3 midi ch 1). The drum kit designer seems to be in omni mode by default but I'm wondering how the midi notes that lay on an aux track can trigger it? Aren't aux tracks audio tracks?
Thanks if this makes any sense.
routing?.png

Upvote 0
Back