Logic Pro 8 Midi input from controllers not working on old projects

jimmydeluxe

Logician
Hi,

That pretty much says it. More specifically, I'm using a mcu pro, novation 61sl, and m-audio trigger finger. On old projects, the novation and trigger don't trigger midi notes--no midi data being read into Logic 8 (newest update). I deleted/reinstalled the controllers in the setup pref., but no help. I can start a new project and, no problem, it works as it should!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Check your Clicks and Ports layer in the Environment. I have seen the connection between the physical input object and the sequencer input object get broken too many times to not check it as one of the first possibilities. It would explain your problem.

Were the "old projects" done on a laptop by any chance? A lot of people don't realize that putting a laptop to sleep (closing the lid) with a Logic project open plays havoc with the Clicks and Ports cabling.

Upvote 0
And check your Instruments layer in the environment. If your MIDI instruments appear to be missing, you can copy and paste them from your current project template (the one without this problem).

Upvote 0
Great, thanks for the quick replies! I have to run out, but will try those later and report. Old projects not on a laptop, but I wonder if putting the tower to sleep had the same effect--I used to do that occasionally.

Upvote 0
Check your Clicks and Ports layer in the Environment. I have seen the connection between the physical input object and the sequencer input object get broken too many times to not check it as one of the first possibilities. It would explain your problem.

Were the "old projects" done on a laptop by any chance? A lot of people don't realize that putting a laptop to sleep (closing the lid) with a Logic project open plays havoc with the Clicks and Ports cabling.

BINGO! connection was broken. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Awesome thread. Thanks for the post and solution. This has never happened to me, but I'll keep it in mind if I hear of someone else having the problem. For me, it's always been outdated MIDI configurations for my external gear. Glad you found a solution!

Upvote 0
Actually, now that I think about it, my suggestion didn't make as much sense if you aren't seeing the MIDI notes on input (in the transport bar). That's really the clincher: if you are seeing midi input, but can't reach the destination you anticipate, then my suggestion is applicable. If you can't see the midi input, the Ports and Clicks solution is applicable (or there's something wrong with the MIDI connection itself which you can confirm in OSX's Audio/MIDI utility). I'm restating this partially for my own benefit but to also clarify a rational thought process when troubleshooting things like this. Cheers!

Upvote 0
Back