Logic Pro 9 MIDI program change via Mackie Control

paulnajar

Logician
I've just spent an hour trying to get my Mackie Control +XT+C4 to send a MIDI program change to an external Lexicon Reverb and I can't see a way to do it.

Naturally Logic will do this with a mouse in the Track information box but is there a way to get any Mackie Controller to move this control?

I even delved into the Mackie C4 Commander software looking for a way until I discovered that it won't work when not loaded and when Logic is running it won't let any other software access the same midi port.

Any thoughts chaps?

Hi,

Try next hint. Open the Logic Environment (Mixer) and cable a Monitor object from any channel strip (Aux is preferred). Create a send on that Aux channel and use Mackie to tweak that send. Look at the monitor object if any message is sent out from the channel strip ( it must be F1 28 ... for the 1st/top send knob). If yes then you can use the channel strip or the plugins as message convertors - i.e cable a transformer after the monitor and set its "Status" (bottom) operation to "Program". Cable the transformer to an Instrument object and set the instrument Port to your external device if want to send that PC to any external device.

If that works you can easily set Transformer Conditions or some extra settings to fine the workaround. (Tweaking the Mutes/Solos via external buttons will be easier for shooting custom # PCs but will require more transformers and Auxes).

A.G

Upvote 0
Thanks Tangra.

That's a good idea as a workaround I'd not thought of. It seems odd that a sophisticated controller can't do something that's pretty MIDI basic.

The MPX 500 has a stupid PG scheme where it has about 24 banks with around 5 - 15 patches per bank for a total of about 256 patches. If your idea works (and I can't see why not) I'll probably go further with the transformers to convert the 128 step pan data to a combination of bank and patch messages to match.

I'm also guessing that instead of using an aux object as the link between control surface and device I hope I can simply use the MIDI object for the MPX and use it's pan & volume knob to get me 256 patch changes.

Thanks again. I'll report back...

Upvote 0
I'll probably go further with the transformers to convert the 128 step pan data to a combination of bank and patch messages to match.

Hi Paul,

Yes this can be done and I can assist in that n/p.

I'm also guessing that instead of using an aux object as the link between control surface and device I hope I can simply use the MIDI object for the MPX

I doubt that the Midi object for the MPX will make a link between the Control Surface. In any case you need a bridge where to place the transformers so the Channel Strip >Transformers (gear)>Instrument object (MPX) is a good routing.
Just report if the Channel Strip outputs messages when tweak the control device.
Regards,

A.G

Upvote 0
Back