Logic Pro X Midi Track Alternatives

captainmarko

Logician
Hello all.

I am attempting to work with MIDI track alternatives. Got it recording fine, but when I go to sift through the takes, the Track Alternative power button, and the Prelisten Alternative button are not visible in the tracks. I have searched high and low and can find now indication of how to make them visible if they are not.

That is what Apple says I SHOULD be seeing in their information, but how do I get there? Please help!

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 7.25.59 PM.png

Pete Thomas

Administrator
Staff member
Got it recording fine, but when I go to sift through the takes,
I'm not sure I understand. In order to record alternatives you must have been able to see track alternatives and to have created at least one new one in order to record the alternative.

What is the track alternatives power button?

Here is my workflow:
  1. Enable alternatives (either by configure track header or directly in tracks menu
  2. create some alternatives - e.g. B & C (by default only A is there on the track header)
  3. Rename A, B and C (optional)
  4. Record alternative takes on A, B, or whatever
  5. Switch between them
So I don't get how you could have got to recording (stage 4) without at least stage 1 and 2.

I initially though maybe you had inadvertantly switched them on configure track header, but I found that doing that only switches them off for the tracks which you haven't yet recorded any alternatives on. Which makes sense.

captainmarko

Logician
Thanks for the replies, folks. Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I AM seeing the track alternatives. What I'm not seeing is the arrow icon (to move selections up to the primary playlist) and the power icon (to listen to the selected track alternative). Which renders the whole process pointless since I can neither audition nor move the alternatives up to the main playlist.

Screen Shot 2020-06-28 at 7.25.59 PM.jpeg

captainmarko

Logician
Here is a screenshot of the pertinent area. The whole project is enormous, so no need to confuse the issue or make is so tiny as to be unreadable. I appreciate the input.
Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.56.46 AM.png

fuzzfilth

Logician
This depends entirely on what you want to achieve. Take Folders are good to manage takes in folders, Track Alternatives are good to manage track alternatives. So which do you want to use ?

captainmarko

Logician
I am trying to loop a section, and solo over it repeatedly so that I can then sift through the multiple takes and comp a solo from the best parts. Track alternatives seems to offer the most "ProTools" like method for comping together a solo, or part. Which is what I'm used to from an editing standpoint. ProTools, however, does not offer this little tidbit with MIDI, hence my attempt to do this in Logic.

fuzzfilth

Logician
Well, given that Take Folders don't allow for Quick Swipe Comping of MIDI, you should read up on Track Alternatives which at least allow editing of alternatives.

captainmarko

Logician
Thanks for the help, folks. I've managed to get most of the way there, and learned a pretty cool trick with the MIDI Environment window along the way.
Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 1.44.28 PM.png

Now that I'm here, is it possible to edit the MIDI information in a similar fashion to audio data? I know with audio you can simply select the proper tool, highlight the portion of the take you want, and it will automatically place it in the "master" track, making comping a take a breeze. In the MIDI realm, I seem to be forced to either do the whole operation manually, or just cut the MIDI regions and use the arrow, which MOVES the region in question to the master track but leaves empty space behind.

I would love to be able to just highlight the portion of the alternative take that I want, and, using a quick key shortcut, COPY that portion up to the master track, while leaving the original in place.

Like ProTools.

Am I dreaming? Crazy? Stupid.

Any input would be appreciated.

fuzzfilth

Logician
No, MIDI takes/alternatives can't be quick-swiped like audio takes can. Many tears have been shed on this already. Quickest way is to use the Marquee-tool or -zone, like this:

alt.gif

Last edited:

captainmarko

Logician
That will do nicely. I've gotten that far, but can't figure out how to separate the regions once I've made my selection with the marquee tool. Clearly there is a shortcut that you're using that I can't see.

fuzzfilth

Logician
I'm using this setting in Preferences>General>Editing

Bildschirmfoto 2020-07-06 um 00.16.32.png

This allows me to do this without any further modifier keys:

cz.gif

Last edited:

captainmarko

Logician
Sweet Jesus! And with the marquee tool zones turned on in editing, it's ALWAYS THERE!!!!!

Thank you SOOOOOO much. One step closer to ditching PT altogether.