Logic Pro (X) Monitor Volume Has a Mind of it's Own

SJMMusic

I run Sonoma 14.1 OS on a 24in Mac desktop. I recently upgraded my Logic Pro to version 10.8. Now, some track volume controls will jump around as if they've recorded some moves I made when recording. This is not Automation. This will happen with automation off. They reset whenever I playback. It's driving me nuts. I just want to set levels manually, like on my older Logic version, and have them stay put. I'm hoping this is some function I can just turn off. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sounds like something is playing with your faders. Settings can be changed during an update.

In Logic, call main menu "Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Rebuild Defaults".
Then go to main menu "Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Setup" and if there is a device, delete it.

Check if the problem is gone.

If not, I suggest to install Snoize Midi Monitor and switch on "MIDI Sources" and "Spy on output to destinations". This displays everything that enters and leaves the Mac and MIDI traffic between all application ports. If the disturbance is NOT internal in Logic, you should see it in MIDI Monitor.

If the problem still persists and MIDI Monitor is totally quiet while Logic runs, the issue is likely in Logic or in your Logic project. Check again if there is automation. To be sure that it isn’t hidden, you may call main menu "Mix > Delete Automation > Delete all Track Automation". Look at MIDI regions for region automation. You can disable regions (default ctrl-M) or delete them if you don’t need them to test the playback. If you have MIDI FX plugins in Instrument tracks, disable them to prevent sending data to faders.

Upvote 0
Sounds like something is playing with your faders. Settings can be changed during an update.

In Logic, call main menu "Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Rebuild Defaults".
Then go to main menu "Logic Pro > Control Surfaces > Setup" and if there is a device, delete it.

Check if the problem is gone.

If not, I suggest to install Snoize Midi Monitor and switch on "MIDI Sources" and "Spy on output to destinations". This displays everything that enters and leaves the Mac and MIDI traffic between all application ports. If the disturbance is NOT internal in Logic, you should see it in MIDI Monitor.

If the problem still persists and MIDI Monitor is totally quiet while Logic runs, the issue is likely in Logic or in your Logic project. Check again if there is automation. To be sure that it isn’t hidden, you may call main menu "Mix > Delete Automation > Delete all Track Automation". Look at MIDI regions for region automation. You can disable regions (default ctrl-M) or delete them if you don’t need them to test the playback. If you have MIDI FX plugins in Instrument tracks, disable them to prevent sending data to faders.
Thank you Peter. Yes, something is definitely playing with my faders. They're dancing, and not in a musical fashion. I have your recommendations and will be testing over the coming days. Cheers. Stan Mitchell.

Upvote 0
Back