Logic Pro 9 monitoring on multiple headphones - Logic 9 and Presonus Firestudio

jakedelorey

Logician
I recently purchased logic 9 pro and a Presonus firestudio. I am a novice to both. Firestudio came with Studio One recording program which allows the user to stream seperate mixes of your track to multiple headphones all using seperate outs. I really do not want to use Studio One as my recording software, so I am wondering if Logic will allow me to do the same. It's not absolutely necessary to send completely different mixes of the track to each individual player, but I would at least like to have some volume control. So basically how do I send my mix from Logic to the individual outs on the firestudio so that each member of the band can use headphones to monitor it. I plan on doing some "live off the floor" recording, this info would come in very handy. Thanks for anyhelp on setting this up.

I'm guessing the answer has AUX's and SEND's involved, so I am off to find out exactly how they all work and their uses.

cheers,
Jake

Hi Jake,

You are on the right track. Basically, create a send on each track going to, say, Bus 1. Logic will automatically create an Aux channel strip with Bus 1 set as the input. Then route the output of this new Aux channel strip to the separate physical output on your Firestudio that you want to use to feed your headphones.

This is the "easy answer". Obviously there are many more layers of nuance available in setting up headphone sub mixes; but this should get you started and not be too overwhelming to begin with.

Give yourself some time to play and get familiar with Logic and you'll get more comfortable all the mixer routing possibilities.

Tip: Option click the send on each of the channel strips to set them to a default unity value. This way the mix going to your headphone bus will mirror your main mix by default. You can then adjust the individual send levels as necessary to tweak the headphone mix from that starting point.

HTH......

Upvote 0
Thanks so Much Eli, I think I can handle that. I'll do some messing around tonight and see if I can't figure things. After using garageband for so many years (budget restraints), all this new stuff in Logic is quite intimidating. babysteps I guess.

Cheers

Upvote 0
After checking your links out it seems that I have been given advice from one of the best. Think I'll be asking the wife to order me your logic 9 video series for the holidays. New Brunswick winters can be pretty nasty, and it might be nice to have some quality training material on hand in order to dive head first into logic while snowed in.

Upvote 0
Hey Jake,

Thanks very much! I hope you enjoy the videos. Montreal winters are almost as bad as New Brunswick winters! Hmmmm, guess I'll have to spend some of it in doors doing soem new videos this year :D

Upvote 0
how do you route the output of the new Aux channel strip to the separate physical output on my Firestudio? I added sends to bus 1 on all my tracks. It created the Aux channel, but when I try to click on output of the aux channel to assign it, just stays at "stereo out" it doesn't give me any options. In fact if I try to go back and change a send after I have already done it, it doesn't give me any options either. Its like once you've selected something theres no going back unless you delete the strip. I'm sure its me and I should probably just RFM. 8)

Upvote 0
Hi Jake,

It sounds like maybe you don't have your Fire Studio set as the output device in your audio hardware and drivers preferences.

Look under preferences ---> audio, and see what is set as the ouput device there. Set it to the Fire Studio (if necessary) and click on the "apply" button at the bottom.

I don't think Presonus hardware requires any specific drivers - but maybe double check on their web site just to be certain.

If that's not the problem - then it's something else :D

Upvote 0
I'm sorry to be such a shameless thread digger but this is quite close to where I stand right now.

I have the exact same setup: Logic 9 and StudioLive 16.0.2.

Basically I know how to handle the Bus channels, Sends, Returns and whatnot but I can't for the life of me address the Send signals to the actual auxiliary outputs on the desk. Since it features 4 of them, I suppose I can send 4 different mixes to the recording room to four headphone sets.

What should I do? The Outputs are the ordinary 1-2, 3-4 (stereo) or the monos (1, 2, 3...). There is no AUX1, AUX2, etc.

Anyone?

Thanks a lot and happy 2015!

Upvote 0
Back