Logic Pro (X) MOVIE FREEZES DURING LOGIC PROJECT

I've scored several movies in Logic on this laptop. usually on Logic 9. I recently "upgraded" to X. Early 2011 15.5" MacBook Pro, logic board replaced a couple times, 2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, Sierra MacOS 10.12.6, Logic X. This is the first time this has happened. The movie I am working to will freeze randomly. I'll be scoring in the arrange window then all of a sudden the movie will be stuck on a particular frame and no matter where I put the playhead the same frame is frozen. Meanwhile I could work in the arrange window with my software instruments and such if I wanted to, the movie freeze problem doesn't affect that. I have to Close the program, then reopen and it is Ok for a time till it happens again. I even have wifi off and all other programs quit. If anyone can share any insight into this matter I would appreciate it. Thank you.

Last edited:
I think I had that problem once and the fix was to transcode the movie file to a different codec. I'm sorry, I can't remember what the before and after codecs were, but if you open the video file in Quicktime Player and Show Info, it will tell you about the file. If you don't have software to transcode, you can still get MPEG Streamclip free on the Squared 5 site.

Upvote 0
Not exactly...MOV and MP4 are 'containers' and can have one of several codecs inside, so when transcoding you might be changing an MOV from H.264 to DV or DNxHD, even though you still have an MOV file when you're done. Look for a drop-down menu in Streamclip near the top of the window after you've selected 'Convert to QuickTime' or whatever you select.

Upvote 0
Thank you very much for your generosity. I had no idea. I'll do a little educating of myself in that matter. I'll be revisiting that project next week and I'll let you know how I made out. Thank you for the education.

Upvote 0
Looking around the internet a bit, it seems DV is a codec that Logic likes. Your video filesize might increase, but that just means the decode processing has already been done so it's not taxing your CPU with that task while Logic plays audio.

Upvote 0
Back