Logic Pro 9 multiple tracks for a single instrument

atticmike

hey folks, since I began to use logic 8 & 9 I've been always wondering how to handle instruments that have multiple channels on it.

Now, here are a few situations considering my kind of problem:

1. lets say I've recorded a guitar with three microphones at the same time. Well, what is possibly the best way to use the same effect on all the tracks? Through applying each channel to a single bus, sending the plugin from one to another or maybe a different way?

2. once I've placed all channels on bus 3 the sound-level massively exceeds the 0 db threshold. I figure logic kind of handles all three channels now as one what elementally means a higher loudness and subsequently the consequence of reducing the volume / gain. Does this method have any drawbacks for the mix?

I hope there is someone who may know what I'm talking about and could help me out?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

1. lets say I've recorded a guitar with three microphones at the same time. Well, what is possibly the best way to use the same effect on all the tracks? Through applying each channel to a single bus, sending the plugin from one to another or maybe a different way?

That depends on the type of effect you are using, the sort of sound you are trying to achieve, and to an extent your preferred working methods.

Example 1. Reverb: Let's say, you want to have some of the same Space Designer reverbon each of those tracks. Set up an instance of space designer on an aux channel strip, the send from your three tracks to that Aux, apply as much reverb to each track as you like by adjusting the send level.

Example 2. Bus EQ or compression: Again, instantiate the EQ and/or Compressor on an Aux Channel strip, but this time, route the three tracks to that Aux, so that each of the three tracks goes through the effects you chose

2. once I've placed all channels on bus 3 the sound-level massively exceeds the 0 db threshold. I figure logic kind of handles all three channels now as one what elementally means a higher loudness and subsequently the consequence of reducing the volume / gain.

Yes, in which case, just lower the individual track faders, or the Bus 3 fader. While it is generally regarded as sensible practice to not allow your signal within Logic's mixer to exceed 0 dBFS, due to Logic's 32 bit Floating Point Mixer, it is to all intents and purposes impossible to overload the signal internally - i. e. before it reaches a mixer output.

I am old fashioned, I tend to gain stage my mixes with the output Channel Strip Fader set to around zero, ensuring that the overall Mix level does not go into the red at the output. That may mean that some of my channel faders are pulled down quite some way, but it also has to do with tracking with individual signals peaking between -12 and -9 dBFS.

HTH, kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
One thing I do is add a gain plug-in to all my tracks, and then decrease the levels as required. I will also add one to a bus or my master output.

The internal resolution of Logic is 32 bit, so you don't have to worry about levels (more or less) except for the master output fader. that is the reason I put the gain adjustment on my first slot insert, then add any additional plugins after (compressor, maybe eq, who knows).

George Leger III

Upvote 0
Back