Logic Pro X Multithreading - Catalina - Mac Mini 2018

logicuser999

Hello! I have just changed my computer from a Macbook Air 2015 dual core i5 to a 2018 Mac Mini 6 core. On the Macbook Air, Logic uses 4 threads (Dual Core CPU). On my new Mac Mini, Logic only uses 6 threads (6 core CPU). I was under the impression I should have 12 threads, which is not the case. Does anyone know what's going on here?
I can only enable 6 threads max in Preferences.

Thanks!

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
AFAIK that is dependent on whether the CPU supports hyperthreading or not. The i7 does, the i3 does not. I am not 100% sure about the i5 in 2018 - I don't thing they did back then either, although intel added this more recently to the i5. Which CPU does your Mac Mini have?

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0

logicuser999

Hi Mark.
The previous Macbook Air was a 2015 i5. (It had hyperthreading in Logic on Mojave; 4 CPU meters for a dual core)
My current Mac Mini (Catalina) is the 8th generation i5 6 core. So this technology is newer. It is the same as the current Mini line from Apple. (Only 6 CPU meters. 1 for each core)

Upvote 0

logicuser999

Apparently my Mac Mini’s i5 does not support hyperthreading...

Does this mean I am only getting a marginal performance boost over the 2015 Air?
I don’t know much about CPU/core/hyperthreading..

Upvote 0

bayswater

Logician
There's about a 20% difference between the i5 and i7. If you look at Activity Monitor, you don't see the duplicate threads kick in until the load gets pretty high, and it doesn't look like these extra threads will handle all the same tasks as the first set of threads. I tried out the i5 in the Apple store before buying my i7 2018 Mini, and it handled hundred of Logic tracks and hundreds of plugin instances, even before getting a memory upgrade. No doubt the i7 would give you an edge, but unless you're producing orchestral music scores, I think it's unlikely you'd notice the difference.

Upvote 0

logicuser999

Ok thanks
I don't think Geekbench results include hyperthreading in Logic Pro X.
Single core performance is obviously much better compared to the 2015 Air. Multicore as well, but again, I'm not sure how this is tested

Upvote 0