Logic Pro 9 Need help with EXS24 "read velocity range from file name"

alienimplant

Logician
I am trying to import 127 drum samples to a single key using the option shown here. The option says "Map to key dropped on and read velocity range from file name". I can find no documentation in the manuals on how to do this. What is the syntax required in the file name to make this work? I need to do several of these imports. The capability is cleary there, but I need help on how the file name should be formatted. My thanks to anyone who can help.

20120206-n4hkfwt5634x8hgfjy57dtjmur.jpg

I am trying to import 127 drum samples to a single key using the option shown here. The option says "Map to key dropped on and read velocity range from file name". I can find no documentation in the manuals on how to do this. What is the syntax required in the file name to make this work? I need to do several of these imports. The capability is cleary there, but I need help on how the file name should be formatted. My thanks to anyone who can help.

20120206-n4hkfwt5634x8hgfjy57dtjmur.jpg

Hi Alien,

I'm not absolutely certain, but i think it just requires that the velocity range be appended to the end of the name. For example:
Awesomepiano 1-16.exs
Awesomepiano 17-24.exs
Awesomepiano 25-32.exs

Maybe you can try a small test with a few samples named like this and see if it works. I'm not certain though if the EXS instrument architecture is designed to support 127 separate layers on a single note. In fact, I'd be shocked if it _can_ do this.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, Eli. 128 layers (0-127) are indeed possible in the EXS24. I've done it manually already. It is controlled by the first default modulator in the mod matrix (velocity controls sample select). I'll try this syntax. Sadly though, renaming the files in this way most likely will take about as long as manually editing the layers. Sigh. :s

Upvote 0
Ah, frack, you're right. I have NameChanger and it does exactly the right sequence formatting easily. I'm so glad you reminded me of that. Thank you!

Upvote 0
Sorry about that - I thought I had seen that type of labeling on some velocity range based samples at some point; but I guess I was mistaken. Back to the drawing board :redface:

Upvote 0
You could take a look at how sample names are formatted in the factory drum kits. It's like the examples given by Eli.

No gripes here with the EXS 24 editor as it is, but Redmatica's Keymap makes this type of work very easy.

It's an added expense, but well worth it.

Upvote 0
Let's not get too far off topic, lol. In related news, these are samples exported from AutoSampler, Redmatica's junior product. I don't want to pay the upgrade price for a single function that Logic already has built in.

Upvote 0
Just curious, how are the the exported AS samples named?

Also, were those sounds AS'd as an EXS 24 instrument?

I set up AS to name samples by: Alphanumeric sound source name, Note name, MIDI note #, and highest velocity.

Upvote 0
Just the defaults.

NAME-060-127.wav

The renamed format was was NAME_060_127-127.wav

I also tried NAME 060 127-127.wav

060 refers to the key number as exported by AS.

Upvote 0
It's not necessary to do 128 levels. All I want is the EXS24 naming convention for single-key imports. Only a few samples with velocity recognized properly would be enough for the test. In fact, AS only supports 16 layers. You have to do 127 exports over 8 rounds, and AS doesn't allow 0 velocity triggers.

Upvote 0
Back