new imac i5 or 'old' Macpro 2.8 8 core?

trenchrun

Logician
im looking to upgrade my lampshade g4 imac and logic7 (which works surprisingly well for what i do) to a new computer and logic 9.

1/2 and 1/2: audio + softsynths. 15-30 tracks (i cant do much more than 20 now and thats with lots of freezing)...lots of plugins. i'd do much more if my computer allowed.

i have a budget of around $2000...

i can get the imac i5 for $2099:

iMac 27in, 2.8GHz Intel Quad-Core i5, 4GB, 1TB, 8x DL SuperDrive, AirPort, 1GB 5750

or

a used Mac Pro for $1599:

8-core Xeon 2.8GHz, 4GB, 1TB SATA, 16x DL SuperDrive GeForce 8800 GT, 512 MB

obviously i'd need to buy a monitor with the macpro (would that have built in airport?)

i'll probably be getting a new apogee duet2 regardless of what i get. (possibly an rme 400)

the imac would have several years of apple care...the macpro only 90days warranty. i'm not really a 'computer guy' so my old imac has been great...plug and play. right now i use a couple of usb2 drives for storage.

.also there are supposed to be new imacs coming any day now so i'll likely wait and see what they offer as well...

or would the used macpro still be there better choice regardless of the new imacs?

i ont really need to be cutting edge...i just need something that will handle, say, 20-40 tracks of audio and softsynths, lots of plugins...with NO FREEZING OF TRACKS.

honestly i rather just have an imac. i like the all in-one simplicity...but only if it will do the job.

will the new imacs do this?

has anyone benchmarked an imac i3/i5 ?

thanks.

i wish i knew how logic performed on them!

As they were only announced yesterday, nobody can say, at least not for a few days yet. You may be certain that, compared with your G4, any current imac or the Mac Pro 8 core you mention will be a totally different beast. I seriously doubt that you will have any trouble running the sort of logic projects you are talking about on either. FWIW, I am using the original, 2007 model Dual Xeon Mac Pro, it doesn't even break into a sweat running this sort of thing.

kind regards

Mark

i wish i knew how logic performed on them!

As they were only announced yesterday, nobody can say, at least not for a few days yet. You may be certain that, compared with your G4, any current imac or the Mac Pro 8 core you mention will be a totally different beast. I seriously doubt that you will have any trouble running the sort of logic projects you are talking about on either. FWIW, I am using the original, 2007 model Dual Xeon Mac Pro, it doesn't even break into a sweat running this sort of thing.

kind regards

Mark

thanks!

Back