New in logic and Mac

khemsmtl

Logician
Hello,

I'm will buy a Mac Pro with logic soon and I would like some advices about the hardware I will need. I will only use logic with virtual instruments so do I need an audio interface? I'm new in the mac world.

Any advice in welcome

Thanks a million and have a nice day.

Definitely get one even if you don't plan on audio recording. Hearing things from the headphone jack is not a good idea. Head over to musicradar.com they have some good ideas on how to set up a decent recording studio.

Hope this helps.

Actually, you don't. The D/A converters that come with todays Mac systems are pretty good.

I small mixer would help (anything with a couple of channels) just so you can hook up a pair of speakers and have a level control for them if they are self powered.

used an older iMac for a couple of years like this when I was writing on the road. Great little rig.

There are also very cheap interfaces as well, so while you don't require an interface when using mainly internal sounds, they can be handy (I got one of these for vocals and guitar, cheap but great: http://line6.com/podstudioux2/)...

Thanks a lot.

For precision, I will buy for my Chrismas The "Two 3.06GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (12 cores) with 64Go of memory" it's expensive I know but I don't like to change every 2 years.

Have a nice day every one.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I would honestly get something like the Duet 2 (actually, thats what I DID do when I bought my Macbook Pro and Logic last year). I do a lot of writing that only involves virtual instruments, and it's been great for that.

I have recently replaced it as my main interface, but I've held on to it as it's super portable. Anywho....just my opinion, but have fun making music with whatever you decide!

p.s
If you want to throw down that sort of cash on a Mac Pro, it might be worth holding off until they release new ones for 2013. Thats only if you care about getting something a bit more future proofed.
Take care!

lollllll December 2013 is galaxies too far for me lol. Thanks a lot for the research. I read some posts and I wonder why people think that the mac pro is dead? hope this is not true lol.

Have a nice day

lollllll December 2013 is galaxies too far for me lol. Thanks a lot for the research. I read some posts and I wonder why people think that the mac pro is dead? hope this is not true lol.

Have a nice day

I think because over a year ago they started cranking out new and improved Macbook Pro's and IMacs that could give the Mac Pros a run for their money...and by adding features such as thunderbolt. I'm no expert, but Mac Pro users have just been feeling "left behind" as far as advancements in technology goes.

There are people who have no problems using their "older" systems though, and if you decided to buy sooner than later you'll still be on your way to making music with a very capable machine!

I was actually going to buy a Mac Pro myself, but then I decided to build a powerful PC slave for streaming my sample libraries, ethernet that to my macbook pro for recording into Logic.

I want a Mac Pro so if in decembre apple don't give news about it. I'll go for my first choice :)

Thanks a million times for giving me such nice advice my friend.

Have a really nice day :)

i recommend getting a USB/FW soundcard, just because personally when doing headphone work its slightly muddier coming straight from the jack. I am using a Macbook pro though

I just bought the new MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (couldn't wait my Mac Pro lol) and will received the Apogee duet 2 next Monday will plug an Sennheiser HD-380 Pro. hope will get nice sounding with this.
Thanks for your help guys :)

Back