Logic Pro 9 New instrument = always an EVP by default?

When I create a new software instrument track and have "open library" checked, there's always an EVP opened.
Is this a feature or a bug?

I only noticed this recently because I usually leave the "open library" thing unchecked.

Doesn't happen in L8.

- Sascha

As far as I know the only way is to leave "open library" unchecked.
I posted about this recently and that seemed to be the only answer.
tom

Upvote 0

Hm. Ok. But then there should be a preference where one would preselect the instrument (or channel preset) one would like to see as a default. I might even chose the EVP (IMO an absolutely underrated e-piano emuation, I use it all the time ever since the day it came out), but probably with some different setting.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
I picked up this tip from a forum a while back:

If you prefer having a blank SI channel strip, even when 'open library' is ticked -

1) Quit Logic.

2) Go to: Library/Applications support/Logic/Channel strip settings/Instrument/01 Logic Instruments/

3) Rename the EVP88 Electric Piano.cst to some other name of your choice.

Restart Logic and create a new software instrument track. It is nice and empty

Haven't tried it myself.....

Upvote 0
Thanks Colin!

I already suspected something such as this (renaming the default CST) could probably work. And it does.

Not a biggie, really - it's just that I've been wondering about this thing.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
As you said at the top, the automatic EVP88 thing only happens if you have the box "open library" selected in the create track dialog. If it is unchecked, all this is irrelevant, and you can just choose your preferred instrument/strip/etc

I believe this new "feature" arrived in the 9.1.1 update - I suppose to help new users to have a sound there when creating a new track. I'd just keep it unchecked....

Upvote 0
I believe this new "feature" arrived in the 9.1.1 update - I suppose to help new users to have a sound there when creating a new track.

Yup-it's even right there in the release notes: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2565

If I recall, GarageBand loads up a piano instrument when a new software instrument is chosen by default, so this would be "familiar behavior" to upgraders as well as more comfortable for new users. And as you say, more advanced users may often either leave the box unchecked, or start from a template with their own instruments pre-loaded.

Orren

Upvote 0
Back