Logic Pro (X) New Logic Package format questions ( scoring for a movie )

yavuz

Logician
I used to save different versions when I was scoring for a movie.

I am starting a new score in a couple of days and I am wondering how to organize this in Logic X. Should I use the folder hierarchy or go with the package system.

I usually have a full length movie and I place the bounced stereo files in there.

I also have multitrack projects for different scenes. If I keep all the music in one project it gets too big and I have not done that so far.

My plan is to break up the music in smaller pieces and have one full length movie in another project that has bounced stereo files. I used to do this with versions of the same project. Now that we have the package option, I am wondering if it is going to get too big too fast with the movie.

I have seen the alternatives of project option but I have never workers with them. Is that the way to go?

I haven't yet used Logic X to score anything but as I understand the new features you're asking about, here's some thoughts.

I see no advantages of packages over traditional folders. I don't use them - I prefer the visual feedback I get with the folders. I don't see how a package would suffer from size restrictions that would not also affect a project saved as a folder. Perhaps something I'm missing?

I don't see any advantages of using alternatives over the Save As feature when saving with a different name. Again, my comfort zone, but there is nothing compelling to me about them at this stage of their development.

I normally work with a different project file for each cue and a master project to put in the mixes of each cue.

My .02.....

Upvote 0
I tested it myself.
It turns out package and folder system are pretty much the same.
The size does not change much when you save project alternatives.

Package has one advantage that is compactness when you are archiving, moving.
You can see folder hierarchy when you right+click and choose show contents.

Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0
Back