New Mac Pro graphics card incompatible with Logic 9

bgood

I'm attempting to install Logic 9 (using a Logic 7 dongle) on new 6-core Mac Pro with an ATI 5870 graphics card. The (9.0) installer exits with an error: "Logic Studio requires that your system have a Quartz Extreme video card." Anyone have any suggestions?

(Problem tentatively fixed--see below)

Run Software Update. Make sure you've got all System updates and Logic updates.

If that doesn't fix it, post your problem in the Apple.com Mac Support Forums, in both the Mac Pro and Logic Studio Forums.

Or borrow a PCI Graphics Card that is compatible to run the installer.

Good Luck,

--coh

Update:

Just got off the phone will Apple support. Problem solved, sort of. I do have all current software upgrades, but the problem seems to lie in the fact that I used Migration Assistant to pull settings from an iMac I'd been using as a backup studio machine. Apparently using Migration Assistant between a non-pro and pro machine is a Very Bad Idea. Support suggested doing a P-RAM reset, and that seems to have fixed the problem. The installer is proceeding as it should now. If I run into any other problems, I'll post, but so far, so good.

PS--the support tech suggested the P-RAM as his second choice; he said that using the Migration Assistant may cause problems for other apps, and that the best solution would be to wipe the disk, reinstall the OS, and do fresh installs on all apps. I may do that if I run into any more problems.

Migration Assistant causes tons of problems. It works OK between two almost-identical Macs, but people tend to upgrade many generations of Macs apart.

I only transfer data manually to the new Mac.

Update:

"...and that the best solution would be to wipe the disk, reinstall the OS, and do fresh installs on all apps. I may do that if I run into any more problems."

*May* do that...? Ummm... <ahem> I firmly believe that you *must* do that to avoid all sorts of maddening Mac nonsense, as a matter of Standard Operating Procedure. Especially on any sort of a production machine, in any creative environment. You've already wasted more time on this *one* problem than it would take to do it right. Don't wait for the next "gotcha" to jump out and bite you! Or your Client.

I do a Clean Install, once a year (or so), whether I need it or not. Keeps the gremlins at bay. And that forces me to do a Full Backup in the process.

Cheers,

--Charles

Migration Assistant causes tons of problems. It works OK between two almost-identical Macs, but people tend to upgrade many generations of Macs apart.

I only transfer data manually to the new Mac.

Yea, Apple... they don't mention anywhere in the documentation to NOT go from PPC to Intel using Migration Assistant. I finally saw a tech note on it just a couple of weeks ago... a few YEASR after the intel made it's debut.

That is really freaking bad for a company to do: promote how easy it is to move from one Mac to a new one, and in the end you have a system that is busted, or slow.

I'm going to have to go to at least 1 clients place and redo an entire system, apps, plug-ins, drivers, you name it.

It's days like this that I just hate Apple.

Back