New MacBooks/Pros out...

Orren Merton

Logic Samurai / Administrator
Staff member
Yup yup. They look like winners to me! I'm already toggling expenses and jobs to see if I can pick up a 13" MBP. :)

I've heard some folks already bemoaning the fact that the smaller MacBooks don't have an Expresscard slot, but to be fair, I never once used the one on my old 2005 first gen MBP...

Orren

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard some folks already bemoaning the fact that the smaller MacBooks don't have an Expresscard slot, but to be fair, I never once used the one on my old 2005 first gen MBP...
To be fair, I use the express card slot all the time on my first gen 15" MBP, it allows me to connect two e-SATA drives, typically one for audio and one for samples, and gives the notebook pretty impressive read/write capabilities, along with leaving the F/W slot all for metric halo. Taking away that sort of connecting power and replacing it with an SD slot (which is easy and cheap to add to any computer through a multicard reader, which will also then read CF and other formats) is a move in completely the wrong direction from my point of view.

kind regards

Mark

--I spoke to my Apple source here in New York and the capability for the MBP to have 8 Gigs of RAM is really great BUT it'll set you back $1000.00 smackers.
Wow Apple, way to stick it to a pro user!!
-And I am assuming the MBP is the same uni-body design as the last crop which means you cannot open it up & install your own.
If anyone gets a look at one, I'd love to get confirmation of this.
Still, glad to see that FW is NOT being phased out of the Apple line.

Charlie