Logic Pro 9 New review posted: Amp Designer/Pedalboard

PreSets

Is there a place on the web to get pre-built sets of artists sounds for guitar amps. For example, i want amp designer to sounds like Alex Lifeson, Metallica, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, etc....

Bascially a group of files users have already created.

Upvote 0
Hmmmn, that's kinda tricky. The guitar amps are good, but not so good that you could emulate the 'big guys'. I mean, I love the amp designer for scratch tracks, but I always prefer to use my Axe-FX or a real amp miced. Plus it kinda depends on your guitar and your playing style.

Upvote 0
Is there a place on the web to get pre-built sets of artists sounds for guitar amps. For example, i want amp designer to sounds like Alex Lifeson, Metallica, Eric Johnson, Steve Vai, etc....

Bascially a group of files users have already created.

As Apple decided to make their plugins Logic-only, there's little chances to find any "celebrity" presets for them. No preset designer worth his/her salt would create presets for something bound to one sequencer only.
This is proveable, btw. Try to find presets for, say, Sculpture or the ES2 (both excellent virtual instruments) - there's almost none, especially when it comes to wellknown preset designers.
I perfectly understand that. If I were a professional synth programmer, the last thing I'd do presets for would be the above mentioned. I'd rather go for Zebra, Absynth, Alchemy and what else. For very good reasons, too.
And that's also why Sculpture, ES2 and the other "only Logic" plugins are absolutely underrated. Something they don't deserve. But Apples tactics deserve it any day, though.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
Hmmmn, that's kinda tricky. The guitar amps are good, but not so good that you could emulate the 'big guys'.

I think that Amp Designer is better than what most people say about it. IMHO it really shines on those "amp is almost breaking up" sounds. I also own Amplitube, TH-1 and Guitar Rig - none of them does those sounds as well, at least IMO.
Unfortunately, Amp Designer (just as the predecessor "Guitar Amp Pro") still creates a lot of noise on any higher gain settings, something completely beyond me, but defenitely rendering it close to useless on anything HighGain.
Makes no sense to me, really, especially given that the competition doesn't show any problems on comparative gain settings.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
Just a quick one. I am a guitar snob and have struggled with the whole modeling thing. I am so bad that I could barely stomach playing a modler - just could not get on with it at all. But I really like the results I get with Amp Des and Redwire Impulse Responses. Let me know if anybody wants some more details on this.

Joe

Upvote 0
The Redwirez IRs are indeed fantastic.
Just disable the speaker sim section of Amp Designer, slap Space Designer into the next insert and load some Redwirez impulses (100% wet of course) - all fine and dandy.
Personally, I prefer Overlouds TH1/2 for such purposes (especially as you can mix and match different speaker impulses easily, something requiring awkward steps when using Space Designer only), but it does work with Logics onboard stuff, though.

Regards
Sascha

Upvote 0
Hi Sascha

I have tried using one of the free convo plugins that the Redwirez guys recommed - I am pretty sure you can add in multiple IR's with different mic's and distances to get a wider sound. Just in case anybody is looking at this ;-)

Cheers

Joe

Upvote 0
Digidesign Eleven rack is also great. Not too expensive compared to others. Runs as a rack so no stress or latency issues when using the plug in on your mac or pc. Also great to take out live to achieve the same sounds!

Upvote 0
I have not been able to find a ring modulator plugin that sounds as good for string instruments and wind instruments as Pedalboard's Roswell Ringer. And I have really been looking around, since I can't always use Logic/Mainstage.

Upvote 0
Re:

I get a lot better results plugging my guitar into amp designer, picking an amp and fiddling with the controls, mic positions and different cabinet models verses starting out with a preset. What I like to do is get the amp settings in the ballpark of what I want to use and tweak them in the mix.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys

Great article enjoyed it very much, as a lead guitar player and logic engineer, I have quite a few free videos I would like to share will my fellow logic users ,the videos cover quite a lot of the recording guitar and EFX in logic please leave a comments to let me know how I can improve my site.

Click Here

All the best

Steve

Upvote 0
Back