Logic Pro (X) Notation Layout Changes when Printing??

dougjammer

Logician
I posted this problem 2 1/2 years ago and it continues. I have a workaround, but it is time-consuming to put into practise. Here is the description of the problem: When I prepare a score for printing, it will look correct on screen. However, when I actually print it, Logic reformats it and it often takes more pages than indicated. For example, I had a score that was 19 pages long. When I printed it though, the ending was missing, because Logic reformatted the score during the printing stage and it actually needed 20 pages. But it won't print page 20, because Logic treats it as having a maximum of 19 pages. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Last edited:
Where are your margins on the page compared to the physical page borders? Different printers have different margin limits which need to be taken into account... Care to upload your score for us to test ?

Upvote 0
I have also run into this kind of issue when Scale in my Page Setup was set to something other than 100%. This sometimes happens unnoticed when I have checked off a box for "Fill entire page" or "Print entire image" in another window.

Upvote 0
I posted this problem 2 1/2 years ago and it continues. I have a workaround, but it is time-consuming to put into practise. Here is the description of the problem: When I prepare a score for printing, it will look correct on screen. However, when I actually print it, Logic reformats it and it often takes more pages than indicated. For example, I had a score that was 19 pages long. When I printed it though, the ending was missing, because Logic reformatted the score during the printing stage and it actually needed 20 pages. But it won't print page 20, because Logic treats it as having a maximum of 19 pages. Does anyone have a solution to this problem?

I was looking at other similar topics and see that Epson printers do not print WYSIWYG. I am using an Epson Artisan 835. Maybe it has the same problem. This was not always the case. In 2015, I was using Logic X and the same printer and it did print WYSIWYG. Perhaps there have been some updates that caused this problem. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0
You did post this issue in 2016 but three of us have asked questions to help in determining the problem with no response. Is the printer type in page setup correct? - have you verified the correct paper size? - are you viewing page view when you want to print? Have you tried to print directly to PDF - verified the PDF is correct and then sent the PDF to the printer for comparison?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. The printer type is correct. The page size is correct. I am in page mode in the score edit screen. I have printed to a PDF rather than paper but it comes out with the same error. Looking at another thread about printer problems, it appears that Epson printers have issues. I wonder if I were to install a different printer driver, so that Logic thought it was printing to a Canon or whatever, and printed to Pdf, if that would help?
My workaround is to decrease the percentage of the score set printout by a couple of percentage points, once i have the page layout correct. This change in percentage often causes the on screen layout to look whacky, but the printout is correct. It is a ridiculous workaround that I never had to do in the past, with the same printer.

Upvote 0
I was going nuts with this same problem with an Epson printer. Spent many many hours trying to figure it out. People from this forum tried to help me. Finally I bought a Canon Pixma TS8020 and printing now really is WYSIWG with Logic.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. I am going to try installing another printer driver, and not keep the printer, so I can choose that driver in Logic and will choose print to PDF. Then I can use the Epson to print the PDF. Mostly what I want are PDF files anyways, so I can email them to various people. I will let you know how that works.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response. I am going to try installing another printer driver, and not keep the printer, so I can choose that driver in Logic and will choose print to PDF. Then I can use the Epson to print the PDF. Mostly what I want are PDF files anyways, so I can email them to various people. I will let you know how that works.
Hope it works out perfectly!

Upvote 0
Back