Logic Pro (X) Notation question

peterlemer

Logician
I am writing a score for 3 horns and rhythm section.

There is a 16 bar sections where one of the horns is playing a repeated set of quavers.
I don't want to print out 16 bars of the same thing, I certainly wouldn't do that if I were scoring by hand.

I'd probably write the first bar of quavers out in full, then one more bar with a multi-repeat sign with the number 15 over the top - thus taking 2 bars to tell the whole story.

How would the panel do this?

I have tried leaving the 15 following bars empty and inserting an automatic rest - which gives me a lovely '15' over the top, but I don't want a rest symbol in there - I want some sort of repeat symbol. And I don't want to kill rests, else that will affect the entire part. OK. I could kill rests, and enter all necessary rests by hand - yes, I've done that before - what a pain! But even then, how would I put a repeat symbol in?

One solution is to have a project for the performance, and a separate project for score display that looks as you need for printing.

I'm a score light weight so others may have a more eloquent solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am not quite sure exactly what you want to do. Below is a possibility although other than a multi-rest which you are saying you don't want. This is not musically correct, but may be what you are looking for. If you could screen print an example of what you are trying to achieve "exactly" ( google an example) I can tell you how to create it in Logic.

Screen Shot 2015-09-03 at 10.34.47 PM.png

Upvote 0
One solution is to have a project for the performance, and a separate project for score display that looks as you need for printing.

I'm a score light weight so others may have a more eloquent solution.

Upvote 0
But blank bars look awkward. Probably good for the conductor but not for the other players?

What about a compromise:

image.png

Upvote 0
I am not quite sure exactly what you want to do. Below is a possibility although other than a multi-rest which you are saying you don't want. This is not musically correct, but may be what you are looking for. If you could screen print an example of what you are trying to achieve "exactly" ( google an example) I can tell you how to create it in Logic.

View attachment 1271

how did you achieve that layout?

here is a pdf of what I hope to offer

Attachments

• Logic score problem.pdf
    911.8 KB · Views: 243
Upvote 0
But blank bars look awkward. Probably good for the conductor but not for the other players?

What about a compromise:

image.png
peter: I'm trying to have fewer bars overall as this figure comes in several times. I've uploaded a handwritten version in my response to volovicg
cheers
pete

Upvote 0
I did replicated what you wanted even though there are not 5 beats in the 3rd measure - but rather there are 8. There is a little magic here - but I wanted to post as close to what you asked for as possible. So I think at this point the others are correct and you are best served with either a single or double repeat with the appropriate measure number designator on top of the measure.
Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 6.58.21 PM.png

Upvote 0
that looks good , thanks. :) Can I take it that from Logic's POV in the 2nd bar there is only one bar with a single rpt ( or 2 bars with a double rpt) with graphic numeral and arrows above? IOW, your example has only 3 ( or 4) real bars - it just /looks/ as though it has 17 bars?

Upvote 0
Technically if the time signature and measures were correct yes! there would be only 3 actual bars ( not 17). However in order to accommodate the extra notes in the 3rd measure I had to manipulate the measures in an abnormal way so in this "specific" example there are 4 measures ( one is hidden in the same measure as the repeat). But normally it would be only 3 measures. I assume that is what you are looking for?

Upvote 0
how did you achieve that layout?

What specifically are you asking in regards too? I created a score set of the 3 instruments and in the global format parameters unchecked the fill gaps box which forces shorter regions in a multi staff score set to display only those measure contained in the region or non contiguous regions to not display measures in between those regions - even if the region is shorter than the other regions in the set.

Upvote 0
Technically if the time signature and measures were correct yes! there would be only 3 actual bars ( not 17). However in order to accommodate the extra notes in the 3rd measure I had to manipulate the measures in an abnormal way so in this "specific" example there are 4 measures ( one is hidden in the same measure as the repeat). But normally it would be only 3 measures. I assume that is what you are looking for?

yes - I made a mistake with the last bar :) apologies. That is indeed what I am looking for, although I would much prefer there to be a multiple repeat option as there is with rests. I can work with this, thanks - pete

Upvote 0
What specifically are you asking in regards too? I created a score set of the 3 instruments and in the global format parameters unchecked the fill gaps box which forces shorter regions in a multi staff score set to display only those measure contained in the region or non contiguous regions to not display measures in between those regions - even if the region is shorter than the other regions in the set.

thanks - that is a parameter I wasn;t familiar with, not sure if this will work in this instance, as the part carries on for many more bars. I will try to split short sections on the track into separate regions and get them to display as a single part. :) thanks for your suggestions - useful

Upvote 0
Back