Logic Pro 8 Notation- score shows only one region at a time

bobbolinger

Logician
I created a 4 track song with 4 midi regions. The regions are assigned to midi chan 1,2,3,4. I set the staff styles for two treble staves and two bass staves with midi chan assigned 1,2,3,4.
I can get only one track at a time to show on the score even though multiple regions are selected in the arrange window.
The link buttons don't seem to make a difference.
see screen shot

Attachments

• LogicScreen12142009.jpg
    LogicScreen12142009.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 194
From the arrange window, either shift-click, control-click, or use the pull-down menu to "select all" (regions). The score editor will only show the "selected" regions.

Upvote 0
I created a 4 track song with 4 midi regions. The regions are assigned to midi chan 1,2,3,4. I set the staff styles for two treble staves and two bass staves with midi chan assigned 1,2,3,4.
I can get only one track at a time to show on the score even though multiple regions are selected in the arrange window.
The link buttons don't seem to make a difference.
see screen shot
I sent a wrong reply because I had missed your point that this is happening despite the options, opening an independent score window from the Logic menu bars' "Windows"might bump Logic back in shape, or it could be something about the lack of a connecting vertical line at the score beginning, this is all covered well in the Manual,difficult, but covered.

Upvote 0
This may sound silly, but how have you assigned MIDI channels to the four regions? I think that unless you go into the Event List and confirm that the MIDI channel for all events in each region is set to the right channel, the Score Editor will not see them as being different. I could be wrong, but that's what occurs to me.

Upvote 0
Notation reply

David, Sonny, Juan
Still the same issue with only one staff at a time displaying in score editor;
From the manual, this is interesting:

P 796 The Relationship Between Score Sets and Display Modes
A score set will only be shown as defined if an appropriate display mode is chosen. Content Link and Content Catch only allow the display of one MIDI region at a time, making them unsuitable for work with score sets. It's usually best to deactivate Link, once the desired score set is fully displayed. If only one MIDI region is displayed, double-click below the staff, which will display the full score, then deactivate Link.

I've dbl clicked the score, cntl-clicked the score, etc. with no change;

(did some mods on the regions, made sure that all notes in track/region 1 are assigned to Midi Ch 1, track/region 2 to midi 2, etc.;
staff styles assigns midi ch 1 to the top staff, ch 2 to the second staff etc)

Attachments

• Screen12152009.jpg
    Screen12152009.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0
Thanks for pointing out that explanation on p. 796 in the reference manual. For me, the link buttons have never consistently behaved the way they are discussed in either the reference manual or in Logic teaching texts. They do change colors depending on how many times you click them, etc., but I haven't really found a frequent use for them. I concluded they would be valuable if you had multiple instances of the same window open and you wanted one to scroll while another remained stationary. That said, it looks like you still have them activated, which is contrary to what the manual says you should be doing. Try changing the color of the link button in the arrange window to yellow. Also, not sure if it will make a difference, but click the MIDI in button in the score window to shut it off, it is now red. Can you upload a screen shot of the piano roll editor for this same section of your score? It's not possible to see what the upper three voices are doing, although it is evident you do have them all selected. And a screen shot of the score style set editor would be helpful to see how you configured your current "style."

Upvote 0
Notation reply

Juan
here's the screen shot; I have tried I think every combination of link buttons known to man; there is the manual ref saying that the score won't show multi midi regions IF the link is set to Content Link but no luck with that;

note that the little "score" box at the bottom of the parameter box is checked in case that would make a difference....

I've also explored the score set function

as review for other readers: I'm trying to display 4 separate midi tracks on a score with 4 staves, 2 treble clefs & 2 bass clefs; the notes in the regions are on ch 1,2,3,4; the staff styles is set the same way
the problem is that the score shows ONLY ONE TRACK AT A TIME;

if you could see the score you'd see 4 staves with notes showing ONLY in the 3rd stave - even tho all regions are selected - only the third stave b/c that's the active track;

Attachments

• Logic12162009.jpg
    Logic12162009.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 175
Upvote 0
Hey Bob,

Quick experiment: does the problem still persist if (after ensuring that the note events in each part are on the right MIDI channel) you glue all four parts together into one region and apply your score style to it? I can't remember exactly why I think this will work, but I think I had a similar problem years ago and this was a workaround.

Upvote 0
Notation: merging regions works!

INTERESTING SONNY; merging all the tracks/regions to one works!!!!!! used the same staff styles using 4 midi chan assignments; the score now shows 4 staves with notes assigned to each stave depending on their midi chan;

THANKS think I can work with this; I think someone suggested something like this a few wks ago but I wasn't ready to hear it!!

(I really miss MakeMusic's Finale Allegro but they dropped the ball and months after the Mac Snow Leopard OS was released, they still don't support it)

Upvote 0
Glad that worked. Through a haze of time, I think I remember that a score style can only be applied to a single region. You should also get the same result (I think) if you assign your original 4 tracks individually and respectively with Treble, Treble, Bass and Bass clef Score Styles and then show all staves in the Score window.

Upvote 0
Back