Logic Pro 9 Omnisphere Question

Hi All,

Can anyone give me a definitive answer on this:

I am running Omnisphere (the new 64 bit version) within Vienna Ensemble Pro on a second computer. The second computer, FTR, is NOT running Snow Leopard, but is running OS 10.5.8. I am communicating with this Vienna/Omnisphere sound source by connecting to it from within Logic using the Vienna Ensemble Pro plug in. My two questions are as follows:

1. Is there an advantage in running Omnisphere in multi timbral mode within VEP Server versus running individual instances of it?

2. Is there any advantage running the 64 bit server version of VEP on this second computer, given that it is running OS 10.5.8?

Thanks.

I'm afraid I can't answer questions about products I don't own, but I just wanted to emphasize one fact, in case you do not know:

Mac OS X 10.5.8 is not capable of running audio applications in 64-bit mode. Therefore, they are all running in 32-bit mode.

Orren

Upvote 0
I'm afraid I can't answer questions about products I don't own, but I just wanted to emphasize one fact, in case you do not know:

Mac OS X 10.5.8 is not capable of running audio applications in 64-bit mode. Therefore, they are all running in 32-bit mode.

Orren

What he said :) . You can only run 64-bit version on 10.6.2.

Best,

-Andy

Upvote 0
Hi,
Yah, I know that... thanks. I was curious if there is any advantage to running the 64 bit Vienna server on a machine using 10.5.8. I'm presently doing just that because it seems more stable than the 34 bit server. Vienna is coming out with an update this week that will hopefully address the stabililty issues.

Upvote 0
Hi,
Yah, I know that... thanks. I was curious if there is any advantage to running the 64 bit Vienna server on a machine using 10.5.8. I'm presently doing just that because it seems more stable than the 34 bit server. Vienna is coming out with an update this week that will hopefully address the stabililty issues.

Hmmm... Now you got me puzzled... Running anything 64-bit on 10.5.8?.. Not at all sure it runs in 64-bit, just a more stable instance of a 32-bit version perhaps... Can anyone clarify this?

Best,

-Andy

Upvote 0
I know, it sounds goofy but someone told me to run the 64 bit server with my Logic 9.1 with OS 10.5.8. In any case it doesn't seem to be hurting anything:)

Upvote 0
Where did you get that there was a standalone Omnisphere ?

If you run any plug-ins into VE you will add the overhead of VE PRO ;)

Upvote 0
........ I didn't say a 'standalone Omnisphere'. I'm talking about having the 64 bit Vienna Ensemble Pro server hosting Omnisphere and Stylus on a MacPro that is running Leopard 10.5.8.

Upvote 0
I know, it sounds goofy but someone told me to run the 64 bit server with my Logic 9.1 with OS 10.5.8. In any case it doesn't seem to be hurting anything:)

Personally, I think it is asking for trouble.

Hi Jay,

I agree.

I have already told her that, but ......

Why using 64 bit apps in 32 bit mode, what is going to happen when she hit the memory limit of 10.5 !!!

Best

Cyril

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Just wanted to chime in here. I've been over at Judith's place a lot over the last few weeks helping her get her setup stable (we're both in Montreal). I can't offer any logical explanation, but I can tell you that when running Vienna Ensemble Pro Server as a stand a lone app and connecting to it from within Logic, her 8 core Nehalem computer with OS 10.5.8 is more stable when using the 64 bit version of VEP Server than the 32 bit version.

I know this makes no sense. And she may very well be getting no benefit in terms of memory management from doing this. But it seems to be more stable.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Just wanted to chime in here. I've been over at Judith's place a lot over the last few weeks helping her get her setup stable (we're both in Montreal). I can't offer any logical explanation, but I can tell you that when running Vienna Ensemble Pro Server as a stand a lone app and connecting to it from within Logic, her 8 core Nehalem computer with OS 10.5.8 is more stable when using the 64 bit version of VEP Server than the 32 bit version.

I know this makes no sense. And she may very well be getting no benefit in terms of memory management from doing this. But it seems to be more stable.

Please move to 10.6 and that ends the discussion !

Upvote 0
I can't offer any logical explanation, but I can tell you that when running Vienna Ensemble Pro Server as a stand a lone app and connecting to it from within Logic, her 8 core Nehalem computer with OS 10.5.8 is more stable when using the 64 bit version of VEP Server than the 32 bit version.

Sounds like the 32-bit version of VES is buggy. Or at least, the 64-bit version is less buggy than the 32-bit version. So no, there's no 64-bit benefit being gained, but the gain is due to the fact that their 32-bit software seems to have issues.

Orren

Upvote 0
Back