OT: Any MidiVox users out there?

Billious

Logician
(Not sure exactly where I should've posted this - apologies if I got it wrong.)

Hi, I've recently managed to get a SynchroVoice MidiVox. It seems to be working, but it's still behaving strangely. If anyone replies that they have one, or at least know how to use one, I'll describe the specific problem.

Cheers, Bill

Mhm ... I hope you find another user of this device but the chance is not great as you know. If not - maybe we can help you on the MIDI side? What is the particular problem?

G'day Peter,

The Midivox has 2 output modes: (1) following every pitch nuance of your voice by using pitch bend messages, and (2) quantizing to the nearest note to what you've sung. I would've thought that in the 2nd mode there'd be no need for *any* pitch bend messages, but it always transmits stacks of them, creating a warble in what should be a steady note.

I know I could use a transformer in Logic to filter them out, but first I was wondering whether this was normal behaviour for the Midivox.

Cheers, Bill

I don't find a manual for the Midivox. According to the so called tech specs it should do what you want. Are you sure that you selected this "Continuous Chromatic Pitch Tracking Auto Pitch Correct Mode"?

I am afraid you have to ask HealingMusic. If you have to filter those pitch bend messages it may be a good idea to use a cable switcher, to turn the pitch on and off on demand.

Very interesting device, btw. Did you buy it new?
Would be fine if you could post a review and some audio examples here when you are familiar with this converter.

I don't find a manual for the Midivox. According to the so called tech specs it should do what you want. Are you sure that you selected this "Continuous Chromatic Pitch Tracking Auto Pitch Correct Mode"?

Yep. Actually, the problem happens in both modes.

I am afraid you have to ask HealingMusic.

They've never answered any emails I've sent them. :-(

But I'm planning to call them with a list of questions, including "How do I get it fixed?"

If you have to filter those pitch bend messages it may be a good idea to use a cable switcher, to turn the pitch on and off on demand.

Good idea. Unfortunately, the Midivox itself isn't Midi-controllable, so it has to be changed manually.

Very interesting device, btw.

Sure is! I've wanted one since they first came out in '92.

Did you buy it new?

No. I bought one several years ago on eBay, but the transformer was fried and by the time I found out it was too late to return it. Yeah, completely ripped off. :-( But I kept it, with the biosensor and manual. Then a couple of months ago there was one on eBay without the manual or biosensor, so a close friend of mine bought it. So between us we have a complete unit. Unfortunately it now seems that it might be faulty.

Would be fine if you could post a review and some audio examples here when you are familiar with this converter.

Yep, I'd be happy to do that. :)

I am afraid you have to ask HealingMusic.
They've never answered any emails I've sent them. :-(
Why I am not surprised ... they don't make the Midivox but just sell it among their other stuff, probably as long as they have some boxes in stock. Now as you pointed me to this gear I think about getting one, don't know of a similar device.

If you have to filter those pitch bend messages it may be a good idea to use a cable switcher, to turn the pitch on and off on demand.
Good idea. Unfortunately, the Midivox itself isn't Midi-controllable, so it has to be changed manually.
But Logic is MIDI-controllable. You let a transformer send the pitch events to its upper outlet and other events to the lower outlet. After the upper outlet you put a cable switcher that switches the pitch on and off. Map this cable switcher to your MIDI controller and you are done.

You may need an additional function that sets the pitch bend back to neutral when it gets disengaged but basically it works as this screenshot shows:
20100830-e3f66w23uw4hung2cpudf32s12.jpg

they don't make the Midivox but just sell it among their other stuff, probably as long as they have some boxes in stock.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the guy from Healing Music works with one technician to make and sell them. I was told that the inventor died, and AFAIK Mr Healing Music has all rights to the device.

Now as you pointed me to this gear I think about getting one, don't know of a similar device.

AFAIK there's absolutely nothing else like it. I hope you do get one and have fantastic results with it. :)

It transmits notes (with fixed or variable velocity), pitch bends, and CC messages for volume (CC07 or CC11 I suppose - sorry haven't got the manual here). So I'm wondering what it'd be like, for example, to provide notes from a keyboard and the CC messages (and maybe velocity?) from the Midivox.

But Logic is MIDI-controllable. You let a transformer [snip]
Thanks for going to all that trouble with all that environment stuff, Peter, but I know how to do that sort of thing, and I'll probably do it in Max anyway. (Oops! Does that mean I'm in the wrong forum?)

I hope it doesn't have to be sent to the U.S. for repair - it took months to get here in the first place!

Cheers, Bill

It transmits notes (with fixed or variable velocity)
I think it doesn't have an audio input, correct? So it can't be used generally as an audio-to-MIDI converter but only with the collar?

... pitch bends, and CC messages for volume (CC07 or CC11 I suppose - sorry haven't got the manual here). So I'm wondering what it'd be like, for example, to provide notes from a keyboard and the CC messages (and maybe velocity?) from the Midivox.
Yes, this is what I would have in mind. Synthesizers in parallel to voice but with modified velocity and pitch, influenced by other sounds or MIDI.

... and I'll probably do it in Max anyway. (Oops! Does that mean I'm in the wrong forum?)
No, not the wrong forum. I use Max too and I bet here are a couple of people who are pretty good in this area. Right now I work on an application that should control Logic in a way Mainstage cannot do. Old project, re-vitalized.

I think it doesn't have an audio input, correct? So it can't be used generally as an audio-to-MIDI converter but only with the collar?

Correct - no audio input, and can't be used for audio-to-MIDI. The collar has 4 biosensors (some sort of medical technology) which sit over the adam's apple and detect movements of the vocal cords. It's apparently so fast that it transmits MIDI before you can hear the voice acoustically.

Yes, this is what I would have in mind. Synthesizers in parallel to voice but with modified velocity and pitch, influenced by other sounds or MIDI.

You mad scientist, you! :)

... and I'll probably do it in Max anyway. (Oops! Does that mean I'm in the wrong forum?)
No, not the wrong forum. I use Max too

Yeah, I know. We've had quite a bit of correspondence in the past. :)

Correct - no audio input, and can't be used for audio-to-MIDI.
Mhm, I am interested in a Midivox but even more in a realtime Audio-to-Midi converter with velocity and preferably pitch. If you know such a device (other than the Axon) please tell me.

No, not the wrong forum. I use Max too
Yeah, I know. We've had quite a bit of correspondence in the past. :)
Oh well, those nicknames ... I suspected something like this, your writing sounded familiar to me. Nice to hear from you again!

Mhm, I am interested in a Midivox but even more in a realtime Audio-to-Midi converter with velocity and preferably pitch. If you know such a device (other than the Axon) please tell me.

Sure! I spent a lot of time a few years ago searching for such a device. IIRC, the best thing I found was Windows software called Digital Ear. http://www.digital-ear.com/ It converts audio files or realtime audio to MIDI containing pitch, volume and brightness info. Not sure about note velocity. Pitch bends are used for one-cent accuracy.

The other interesting one that I found was the Amadeus http://www.danryderfielddrills.com/pitch_to_midi.htm but I couldn't find out much about it, and the price was such that I didn't want to risk buying one.

If you end up getting either of these I'd love to know what sort of results you get.

Oh well, those nicknames ... I suspected something like this, your writing sounded familiar to me. Nice to hear from you again!
Likewise, Peter! :)

Cheers, Bill Canty

(Audio-to-MIDI) IIRC, the best thing I found was Windows software called Digital Ear. http://www.digital-ear.com/
No Windows computer here.

The other interesting one that I found was the Amadeus http://www.danryderfielddrills.com/pitch_to_midi.htm but I couldn't find out much about it, and the price was such that I didn't want to risk buying one.
There really isn't much information, sounds like some sort of interface but I would want a box that "simply" takes a line audio input and converts it to MIDI in realtime.

Currently I use the AU Widisoft plugin. It works well in realtime but does not translate velocity.

Actually, can't Max/MSP do pitch-to-MIDI?
I think it can, it can do almost anything. But I cannot :) Audio-to-MIDI is far beyond my Max/MSP skills.

No Windows computer here.

I can understand that. ;)

There really isn't much information, sounds like some sort of interface but I would want a box that "simply" takes a line audio input and converts it to MIDI in realtime.

Currently I use the AU Widisoft plugin. It works well in realtime but does not translate velocity.

Maybe you could use the Widisoft plugin to get the notes and Max/MSP to convert amplitude to velocity?

Actually, can't Max/MSP do pitch-to-MIDI?
I think it can, it can do almost anything. But I cannot :) Audio-to-MIDI is far beyond my Max/MSP skills.

And mine. But if ANYone's done one (that works well) I'd be happy to buy it. Maybe I should ask on the forum...

Maybe you could use the Widisoft plugin to get the notes and Max/MSP to convert amplitude to velocity?
Don't think so, at least not in an easy way. It would require to synchronize notes and velocity.

But it is a good idea anyway, I could use the amplitude for volume or expression of softsynths. This should work without much synchronization, maybe introduce a little more latency but cover most of my applications. Have to try it, thanks.

Hello long shot I’ve got a Midivox here in the U.K. , unfortunately can’t use it no throat microphone or schematic to make one.
Would love to get it up and running can anyone help

So far I know the Midivox used EGG sensors, which means electroglottography, medical gear to visualize glottal waves. I don't know how the sensors looked and if this type is still available.

Throat microphones are quite common i.e. for military, security etc. Various types of medical throat sensors are also available. But I am pretty sure that "some" microphone does not work with the Midivox. Without technical specifications of the interface you may be forced to use the original sensors.

Thanks for the reply Peter.
I hate to give up on this but without a schematic, of the microphone it’s not looking good

Back