Logic Pro (X) Percussion track in score rhythm anomaly

jbat

Logician
Hi I have a percussion track in LPX and it monitors correctly (q 1/8) but appears only in 1/4 on the percussion track in score- why?

Score anomaly

Hi Atlas
/Users/joannabates/Desktop/Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 00.13.01.png
Thanks for responding...the percussion track at the bottom of the screenshot should be the same rhythm as the instruments above but the note on the 1st beat of the next bar will not move to the 4th beat of the previous bar where it should be. I've tried all sorts. I don't know why there's a rest on beat 3 that won't be edited. If you can help - I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Jbat

Upvote 0
This may work better! Screen Shot 2014-02-02 at 00.13.01.png

Upvote 0
other info

Hi

Forgot to say that I de-checked 'interpretation' in the inspector and it changed the 4 crotchets to the rhythm in the screenshot. The audio played correctly. It's late so I'm sorry this has been in 3 parts!:redface:

Upvote 0
The Score Window has separate quantize settings that are used for display only, that don't affect playback. Not sure if this helps or not. But make sure your display quantize in the Score Window is set as you want.

Eli Krantzberg
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Thanks Eli

It makes no sense as I have got half the bar to quantise correctly but the note I want on the 4th beat will not be put there whatever I try. How can that be? I appreciate your time. if I crack it I'll let you know.

Cheers

Joanna

Upvote 0
What are the MIDI channels of your notes in the drum track? Are all those notes part of the same region onyour track?
Could you post a screencapture of your Event list showing those percussion notes? Please have them also selected in your score (in order to highlight them). If you could include in your screen capture the score part showing the problematic notes it would be great...
BTW, which staff style are you using on the track and on the region(s)?

Upvote 0
Screen shot + audio

Hi Atlas

Midi channels were 4 & 5 - not assigned by me and have now put all onto ch. 1. I've included audio so that you can compare. @ bar 177 I have 1/8 notes in the 2nd half of the bar now but if I try to delete the 4th note in that bar, it deletes the following one also - which I want to keep. I hope this helps as i'm still at a loss.

/Users/joannabates/Desktop/Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 16.11.22.png

Joanna/Users/joannabates/Desktop/jbat audio for screen shot help.mp3

Thanks for your interest.

Upvote 0
Hi Atlas

Midi channels were 4 & 5 - not assigned by me and have now put all onto ch. 1. I've included audio so that you can compare. @ bar 177 I have 1/8 notes in the 2nd half of the bar now but if I try to delete the 4th note in that bar, it deletes the following one also - which I want to keep. I hope this helps as i'm still at a loss.

/Users/joannabates/Desktop/Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 16.11.22.png

Joanna/Users/joannabates/Desktop/jbat audio for screen shot help.mp3

Thanks for your interest.
You have to upload your files "Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 16.11.22.png" and
"jbat audio for screen shot help.mp3" in order to make them available to us...
See the Attach Files section below and click on the Manage Attachments button inside (below the reply Message: text box where you type your message on this board).

Attachments

• Manage Attachment.jpg
    Manage Attachment.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0
Hi

The screen shot is here - can't seem to upload mp3 to this - it might have helped you more - I can invite you to dropbox if you like? let me know.
Cheers

Joanna

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 16.11.22.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 16.11.22.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0
Thank you for posting but sorry to insist, I think your issue lies within the Event Editor.
Are all those notes part of the same region on your track?
Could you post a screencapture of your Event list showing those percussion notes? Please have their region selected and them also selected in your score (in order to highlight them).
The Event list will probably reveal that the wrongly positioned note on the score is assigned a wrong position in the Event list.
Logic playback vs notation quantization are not totally independent from one another. Which may complicate things is that the recorded note initial position is retained, and some quantization is applied on playback at region level and then again from there at notation level...
I found that straightening the MIDI notes within the Event list makes the notation quantization more predictable and consistent. However that is sometimes at the expense of the playback rendition quality (interpretation).
That is why most of the time, when comes notation work, it is often seen that scoring is done on a different copy of the project. Use of Alternatives could be useful here, one for the score and one for the playback (within the same project file / folder).

Upvote 0
Back