Logic Pro (X) Pitch change after bounce

lcollen1

Logician
I hate to ask for help so soon after another problem but that's just what I have to do.

The track sounds just as I want it to sound while I'm still in Logic (v10.4) but when I bounce it down to iTunes (v12.7.3) and listen to that and on another player as well just one instrument in at first only one region but now on one whole track plays in a different pitch. (I've bounced down as both AAC and AIFF-that made no difference.)

At first I suspected some odd pitch bend changes in automation might do this but that isn't the case and, of course, it wouldn't account for it only being audible after the bounce.

Does this make sense to anyone or can anyone figure this out and help me?

I hate to ask for help so soon after another problem but that's just what I have to do.

No problem, we are to to help.

Except in this case I'm a bit stumped.

But a couple of questions.

• is the affected track Audio or Instrument?
  • What plugins/automation is on there?
  • Are you bouncing off line? If so untick that so you can hear the bounce as it's happening.

I would also try some more trouble shooting:

Doing other types of bounce not just to iTunes, e.g. to aiff, wav, mp3.
Try a bounce of just that track
Bounce that tracks regions in place, then try a full bounce with that new track/region instead of the original offending track.

Upvote 0
Wild guess: Somehow the sample rates 44,1 kHz and 48 kHz have gotten mixed up.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
I will answer some of your questions right now but first I have to ask in the pic. are you playing a sarrusophone-it's hard for me to tell from that size?
But let me say that having just tweaked a slight change in Pitch Bend, in just one region the whole track is playing correctly now. So I guess unless that one tweak did it it will remain a bit of a mystery. I hate not being able to solve this, it feels to me like I put a bandaid on an amputated limb (not a great analogy but...) I guess I have to be satisfied that it's working-for now!
But the questions I can answer right now, which were done before that change:
is the affected track Audio or Instrument?
It's an instrument track
What plugins/automation is on there?
Ample Guitar, Pedal Board
Are you bouncing off line?
Offline bounce
Doing other types of bounce not just to iTunes, e.g. to aiff, wav, mp3
I'd already tried mp3 and AIFF both played in Audacity-no difference.

Upvote 0
It's a bass saxophone.

The pitch bend seems to have been the cause. Perhaps the bend is present right at the start, but your actual notes and your bounce is starting later, so the pitch bend is out of the range of the bounce. Granted you would expect the bounce to chase a previous pitch bend but I suspect something like this is going on.

Upvote 0
What I still can't figure out, which I guess bothers/bothered me the most is that I was able to hear the track played perfectly before a bounce but not so after. I guess I could investigate and do further test on an earlier, bad version I guess I should be satisfied that it's gone and history.
What is your overall feeling on the X.4 update? Obviously I've seen a number of problems but a lot of them come down to my being a newbie to X, having just been forced to move from a very stable and beloved 9.1.8.
Anyway thanks for getting into it for me. And thank Mark for me as he had also been a big help on an earlier problem I had.

Upvote 0
What I still can't figure out, which I guess bothers/bothered me the most is that I was able to hear the track played perfectly before a bounce but not so after.

Best to not do the offline bounce, untick that so you sit there and listen through to the bounce as it's happening.

I think this is a chase issue. Have you checked for any pitch bend outside of (before) the bounce range? Does the pitch bend reset to it's default value at the end of the track (should not be necessary but I think it's good practice)

What is your overall feeling on the X.4 update?

It's very good, I like the strings and articulations, not so keen on Studio horns.

Upvote 0
Have you checked for any pitch bend outside of (before) the bounce range?
No I hadn't but I will take a look at that.
I like the strings and articulations, not so keen on Studio horns.
I can't say I've taken the time to listen to either of those yet-I've been so involved putting out fires (musically speaking.) I did like the St. Horns in 9 but I almost always used to use them in combination with some individual horns from other plugins. I think I only used them alone once and that was mostly because of laziness!

Upvote 0
Back