Logic Pro 9 PLAY instruments - do they work well in Logic?

Colin Shapiro

Logician
I see that there's a 2-for-1 special on for certain Quantum Leap instruments like StormDrum, Silk, etc. These all use their proprietary PLAY engine.

I have read about folks having problems with PLAY instruments within VE Pro but what about as AU plugins running directly in Logic? I'd like to hear feedback from users who have PLAY instruments going in Logic 9.x, either good, bad or otherwise. Does PLAY work with Logic? Are the instruments great?

All feedback will be greatly appreciated.......:beer:

Regards - Colin

No problems here with Logic 9.1 on an 8 core mac pro (2008) running OSX 10.6.2.

>>Are the instruments great?<<

Very subjective - I think they are a cut above for the uses I put them to. Vienna are also great, but different. At this level, it becomes a matter of taste.

The E-W instruments are always in my template.

Upvote 0
I have Ra as well, and can speak to that, but was referring to the full orchestral, vocal and piano sets; those are the ones that really do amaze me. So take my advice with a grain of salt, since I may be on a different trajectory.

I'd recommend Ra for its sound quality; however, it doesn't have a large number of instruments. It has no loops. But what is there is first-class, and it's definitely a worthwhile buy.

If you want a larger number of instruments, and if you need useable loops played in ethnic styles, you might consider MOTU's Ethno Instrument. The sound quality is quite good (though the first version didn't have as many layers as Ra on individual instruments you'd play by hand), the loops do sound excellent and are well-played in authentic styles.

There is a new version I haven't yet tried.

Stormdrum sounds great, lots of sounds, lots of huge hits. True Strike is a similar concept, and also worth considering if you're looking for alternatives. I don't remember pricing.

I haven't bought Silk yet; I haven't had a project that called for those particular instruments and don't ordinarily write for them. But if a project came up, I'd certainly make the investment.

I do think the E-W libraries are competitive with the best of what's out there so far. And the current pricing does make them very attractive.

Upvote 0
@LSchefman:
Many thanks for your input!!
I have the Vienna Orchestral stuff which is why I'm not looking for other similar packages. Your comments on Ra, Silk etc are very helpful - much appreciated.

Upvote 0
I Have Silk and SD2. Both sound great and are working fine in Logic 9.1.
Jay, I know you're a bit of a Play/Logic expert. How do you have Play setup in terms of it's settings? I'm leary of it as I think it's a tad unstable so I'm actually avoiding using it, but, I really love many of the sounds. I'm also using 64 bit more now so you combine something already a little sketchy mixed with that 32 bit bridge and bingo, fun times. I had a song with 3 instances of Play and very few tracks going and Play was cutting out some of notes of EW gold strings. I changed a setting in Play which seemed to fix that but I'm kind of guessing. Thanks for any suggestions. And yes, I'm using one play per instrument.

Upvote 0
Because I am using a lot of Kontakt 4 libraries in both VE Pro and Logic 9.1. sadly I have found that Native Instruments is correct in asserting that to do so in a stable manner you must continue to boot Logic in 32 bit mode. Until K4 goes 64 bit, I doubt this will change.

I am afraid it seems that the same thing applies to Play. It is stable here in 32 bit Logic, less stable in 64 bit Logic. I load some of it into Plogue Bidule to take some stress off Logic's 32 bit RAM access limitation.

Upvote 0
Does Bidule play nice if one is running Logic in 64 bit mode? I'm in a project now that I started in 64 bit that has rmx, omni, k4 all running and when I go to 32 bit I get the memory warning so I feel like I'm going to keep it at 64.

Upvote 0
uuuuhhhhhhh.......
Sorry to issue a topic hijack warning here :stpp:
Drifting slowly away.....

I'd love to hear more comments from folks on PLAY instruments
Thanks

I see that there's a 2-for-1 special on for certain Quantum Leap instruments like StormDrum, Silk, etc. These all use their proprietary PLAY engine.

I have read about folks having problems with PLAY instruments within VE Pro but what about as AU plugins running directly in Logic? I'd like to hear feedback from users who have PLAY instruments going in Logic 9.x, either good, bad or otherwise. Does PLAY work with Logic? Are the instruments great?

Upvote 0
Back