Logic Pro 9 Play Position

mk3

Logician
It seems to me that it should be easier to set the play (or, as the Logicians would have it, "playhead", which sorry to say, sounds rather inappropriate in a family-oriented program like this one) position.

One has to click in the miniscule marker area above the Arrange window. Be careful not to click too low, or nothing happens. Be careful not to click too high, or you might set a loop instead!

One should be able to click in empty areas of the Arrange window to set the play position. One should even be able to click inside regions to do so. At least this could be an option. Ableton Live works very well in this way, and it's very easy to move around.

Another nice feature from Live is that setting the play position in this way generally rounds to the nearest beat subdivision. That should be an option (or with a modifier key, perhaps) in Logic. This would be especially useful when one wishes to paste a region or event at a subposition, as commonly is the case.

If you do not see the wisdom of what I wrote, no further attempts at persuading you will be successful so I will not try.

Jay -

With all due respect, it sounded like an attempt to rationalize Logic's deficiencies. Working slowly may be the best approach for you in creating music, but please don't presume that's the case for everyone. It just came off as patronizing.

Cheers,
mk3

Upvote 0
If you do not see the wisdom of what I wrote, no further attempts at persuading you will be successful so I will not try.

Jay -

With all due respect, it sounded like an attempt to rationalize Logic's deficiencies. Working slowly may be the best approach for you in creating music, but please don't presume that's the case for everyone. It just came off as patronizing.

Cheers,
mk3

I do not consider it a deficiency. Live is a very different app, designed to do things on the fly, hence the name Live. There are many things Logic can do that Live cannot.

There is a wide swath between "working slowly" and moving regions around while the sequencer is playing. I assure you I am quite fast. More importantly, what I am is efficient.

I am sorry you found my response patronizing but I reserve the right to say that I think that workflow is an unwise choice, even if Logic did it well, which it does not.

You are, of course, free to disagree with me, but I am not interested in arguing it with you further.

Upvote 0
Can Logic be used as a live sequencer?

It seems to me that it should be easier to set the play (or, as the Logicians would have it, "playhead", which sorry to say, sounds rather inappropriate in a family-oriented program like this one) position.

One has to click in the miniscule marker area above the Arrange window. Be careful not to click too low, or nothing happens. Be careful not to click too high, or you might set a loop instead!

One should be able to click in empty areas of the Arrange window to set the play position. One should even be able to click inside regions to do so. At least this could be an option. Ableton Live works very well in this way, and it's very easy to move around.

Another nice feature from Live is that setting the play position in this way generally rounds to the nearest beat subdivision. That should be an option (or with a modifier key, perhaps) in Logic. This would be especially useful when one wishes to paste a region or event at a subposition, as commonly is the case.

I noticed that you're mentioning Ableton Live a fair bit. I have recently bought an Akai MPD 24 and have been using it in a demo version of Live and it's great. However I am struggling to use it for what I want in Logic. Is it possible to assign midi faders to effect parameters (eg cutoff) within Logic like you would with the midi map function in Live?

Upvote 0

YES YES also my point of view! By instinct I place the cursor to the left of what I just edited, to play, but nothing happens. I have to go "up there", very careful (and slow) to point in some thin line, everytime.

Upvote 0
"Click in empty space" to set play-off is also on my wishlist. I work fast and pointing at small things "up there somewhere" doesn't go well with that. Click in empty space, just to the left of what I just edited does.
I keep doing that empty space-move, by instinct I guess. It should be there. Clicking in empty area does nothing, that function is used for nothing.
Quick play-off is a better use for it and it's logical.

Upvote 0
On the contrary, clicking in an empty area performs an extremely important function. It performs the deselect function.

You can do what you want with the marquee tool. Just assign it to the alternate tool, and do a short click anywhere (doesn't even have to be an empty space) and Logic will play from that position when you invoke the play command.

Upvote 0
Ok, that would be a way to do it? I will try for sure.
Aiming in the thin bar is slowing down workflow. What I've used up to now is I've set a key-command to "play from previous bar". I usually stop with space-bar, edit and the key-command will play-off from prev bar even in loop. Thanks

Upvote 0
Click in empty space should set playhead

I agree that clicking in an empty space should set the playhead there.
If something is selected, then one click in an empty space deselects it.
The second click should set the playhead there.

In the Sample editor it works this way. Being forced to travel with the cursor up to the thin time-bar everytime I want to move the playhead would be quite unbearable.

Upvote 0
So...having read this thread, I'm still not entirely clear...there is no way to hit a key that moves the playhead to a selected region? SVP used to do this by hitting the '[' key. (I like long-click 'Play From...' option, and the Marquee in empty space option...but its not quite the same as hitting a key and having the playhead actually jump to the region-start)

Upvote 0
Thanks, Eli. Great workaround. This lack of ability to place the Playhead anywhere in the Arrange Window has always bothered me. Love your teachings!

Upvote 0
Back