Logic Pro X Play two MIDI instruments at once?

sonnykeyes

Logician
Long, long ago, when Logic was Notator, I remember you could create instrument groups that would all play at once when you provided MIDI input. I can't remember when that disappeared, but it occurred to me that maybe it didn't; many Logic features just got buried in arcane menu items and only the real pros knew how to find them. So I'm asking: is there a way to play my keyboard and trigger two different MIDI instruments at the same time in Logic X?

Jay Asher

Logician
Are you talking about hardware instruments or software?

If its hardware, I think this will work: create two External Instrument. software instruments and assign their MIDI channels and audio inputs.
Screen Shot 2019-01-16 at 8.35.46 AM.png

Then select the two and create a Summing track stack.
With software instruments just load the two and create the Summing Stack.

sonnykeyes

Logician
Thanks Jay, Summing Stacks was indeed the new name for Instrument Groups that I was looking for. After reading your explanation, I was temporarily baffled because I couldn't get Logic to allow the creation of a Horn Section stack I wanted; then I realized that the new Studio Horn presets that appeared in 10.4 are already Summing Stacks, so I had to Flatten them before I could add in my other horns. Thanks again!