Logic Pro 9 Please help... Logic is doing some really weird things

jal075

Logician
Ok, got a few questions here.
Ive been using Logic 9 for about 3 weeks now and have done maybe 4 different projects on it.
Ive been having some really weird issues with Logic 9. Im a new user but my friend has it and has the exact computer and has never had these issues and has actually really had no issues. All my updates are current Im using Logic 9.1.1 with OS x 10.6.3 on a MAC PRO 2.66 Ghz Quadcore Intel Xeon

Here are my issues and thanks for any help in advance:

1. Logic 9 has to think for quite a while before it will just record or play:
Im not talking about being gone for awhile and its sleeping so the hard drives have to rev back up. I mean Ive been recording the gtr part lets say and after their done with that part we double the gtr on another track and when I go to hit record I end up waiting for like a long 5 seconds. That goes for play too.

2. Goes silent when I "punch in":
Well if Im doing vocals or anything and I need to punch in, all the playback tracks go dead silent for like a second. I had this problem when I first started using it but I fixed it by enabling "punch on the fly", and that totally fixed it but then it started doing it again. Its not fun.

(ok heres the real weird one)

3. The track I just recorded plays back right before the track should actually start:
Ok so let me explain this. This has happened only on one project but happened a bunch of times. So Im doing vocals and we go through the whole song and the vocalist gets all done with the song. Then he wants to hear what he did. So when I play it back the vocals come in way early, maybe 2 bars early. Now I know I didnt accidentally physically move the track because if I look at the very beginning of the region it lines up with all the the other regions. The actual waveform though starts before it should and plays back before it should. real weird.

Ok theres some other weird things too. Like the regions dont appear all the time when Im recording, like the graphics are glitchy or something. Also, one time I recorded this project, listened back to everything and it all sounded fine. I shutdown, came back the next day opened the same project to start mixing but when I opened it, it said that one file couldnt be played cause it was a 8bit audio file. When I looked in the audio bin and found that file it had an exclamation mark by it. It did say it was an 8bit file and it wouldnt play in the arrange window. Luckily I could preview it in the audio bin so I opened up Gargeband and recorded it on there and then replaced the old one with the new one. that was really weird you cant even record 8bit files on Logic. Why would you want too.

Well I think that about covers it. You know Ive been using DP3 for the last 11 years and finally got a new computer so I decided to go with Logic. I really do like Logic, I like the way it sounds, I like the features, and the work flow is pretty sweet too but, with all the problems Im having Im about ready to throw it out the window. This is just ridiculous. Tomorrow im gonna reinstall everything on the computer, I have 2 hard drives one is all my audio files and one is just for the programs. Im gonna wipe out the program hard drive reinstall the OS and then reinstall Logic 9 and see if that fixes anything. In the meantime does anyone have any idea why all these things would be happening to me?

Thank you soo much!

-jal

yes mark but only after i noticed problems. originally i had my own settings. i did the migration thing out of pure desperateness.

I'm not sure if you have specifically mentioned anywhere in this thread that you have done all of the pro app updates. Please confirm that you have run the Software Update app and that no Pro App updates are showing up as needing to be installed.

And what do you mean exactly by "throw tracks in the trash"? This is normal behavior for discarded takes. It's a fail safe system built in to Logic to offer one more layer of last ditch recovery.

If they are being recorded into the trash that is another matter. Your record path is somehow corrupted. I would try trashing the Logic prefs at that point if it repeatedly happens on freshly created projects.

Upvote 0
to explain "throw track in the trash"...
i recorded a song sounded great saved closed to do something reopened and then logic said it couldnt find the files. i manually tried to loacte them and they werent on any harddrive so i thought hmmm i wonder if their in the trash. yup they were there.
does that explain that?

also i dont know if u read this whole thread or not but one time logic turned a file into 8bit, i didnt even know logic recorded 8bit. it played in the bin but i could not put it in the arrange window.

thanks again for ur time and help guys, i hope we can figure this out together.

as far as the updates go, yes it is all updated. hardware and software.

Upvote 0
That is very strange behavior. At this point I would suggest starting from scratch. Reinstall your OS and reinstall Logic. I know it's a lot of work; but your options are running out as fars what else you can try.

As an interim experiment, you could set up a new user account on your hard drive and then start up from that user; where nothing has been migrated over. Run Logic from that "fresh" account and see if the behavior is any different.

Upvote 0
ur telling me eli. well i just got back my comp from the apple store i reinstalled osx and logic. already in session and still noticing some lagging in logic when i go to hit play or record that i didnt notice on my friends. the updates arent installed yet though so im not counting that yet until my updates r installed. thats all im noticing so far but, like i said all this stuff is intermittent. if this doesnt work my next move is to swap out my friends ram for mine if that doesnt work im gonna swap out the sytem harddrive. if that doesnt work apple is gonna hear an ear full from me. they need to just send me a new computer, this is pretty unusable.

Upvote 0
Just a wild thought here....
Have you done a virus check at all? The kind of problems you're having are not normal and not the kind of stuff that is caused by a faulty computer. Do you have any 3rd party extensions or haxies that may be causing conflicts?

Upvote 0
hey colin,
this is a brand new computer, plus i have completely reformatted my harddrive like 3 times so far. im not using any third party plugins or any other programs that havent came with the mac besides logic.
today im gonna swap ram with my friends computer and c if that fixes anything. the next move after that is the system drive. if neither of those fix the problem then its gotta be the mother board. is there anyway to flash the bios in new computers?

-jal

Upvote 0
> it said that one file couldnt be played cause it was a 8bit audio file. When I looked in the > audio bin and found that file it had an exclamation mark by it. It did say it was an 8bit
> file and it wouldnt play in the arrange window.

I recorded several audio regions on a track today - suddenly big white noise! And the latest region described itself as 8-bit and L9 kepy warning me that it couldn't play 8-bit files. So I rebooted my mac and relaunched the project and the file still described itself as 8-bit, so I trashed it and continued recording with no further mishap

pete

Upvote 0
yes - during that event I got an alert asking me whether I wanted to add a 7/8 bar to make the following make sense ( or words to that effect). The song was in fact in 4/4 and I hadn't put any odd bars in, nor did I intend to.
Then today the same song opened with a slightly similar warning. /Opened/ - mind!
I think there might be a problem with running different songs at different sample rates, but I don't really know. That's my best guess so far.

Upvote 0
hehe man thast just ridiculous. i dont know why biut i dont understand how a company can allow something like that happen. is this user error or is it manufacturer error?

Upvote 0
hehe man thast just ridiculous. i dont know why biut i dont understand how a company can allow something like that happen. is this user error or is it manufacturer error?

When ALL users experience the same problems, you can blame the company. When there are isolated incidents of strange malfunctions, it is more likely to be either a user malfunction, or an odd hardware config or conflict, or system problems etc.

Upvote 0
I think that there are degrees of robustness, it isn't as black and white as ALL users experiencing one thing or another. Certainly it's my unconscious habit now to save after virtually every edit, or once a minute, or similar. This is after years of working at all sorts of levels in Logic and its ancestors. It is a wonderful enterprise , of gormenghast proportions and layout, and IME it's flaky - unless, I guess, you are always doing the same sort of job over and over, and have got to the bottom of the gotchas.

Upvote 0
yeah i get that. i just wish that one DAW would not have any glitches at all. i dont understand why they dont. anyone out there never have problems?

Upvote 0
they don;t because there is always a balance between the money the developers need and the number of units they sell. I suspect that the biggest market for DAWs is the 'bedroom brigade' - and so the features have to appeal to that market - while keeping a fingertip hold on professional needs. The best example for me is the way that notation has been left at a moderately usable level for 10 or more years with very little improvement despite lots of requests from notation users. It simply doesn't sell units so they don't develop it. Ditto I expect stability under uncommon usages. Added to that the same considerations at a much higher level around OSX itself. If they get 10,000 bug reports around problem A, and 15 around problem B, guess which one they'll address first?

Upvote 0
corruption. they make upgrades all the time that we pay for why not make their money that way and be honest and make a freakin stable program?

Upvote 0
ok so logic seems to be acting a bit better it crashed only once in the last week but ive only been recording tops 8 tracks at once and i usually do at least 14. one thing that is troubling me is that sometimes while im recording i can add effects to tracks in the mixer window on some projects and some i cant. it doesnt change though its either i can or i cant and its project basis only. so like when its not recording i can add a plugin but while im recording i cant. im thinking its a preference thing, but i dont get why some projects work and some dont i always click on empty project when i start a new project. anyone?

thanks guys
-jal

Upvote 0
so yesterday while i was mixing i noticed that sometimes when i added a plugin (i only have native plugins) that channel went mute. it didnt matter if it was a reverb or an eq it wouldnt play. the other channels would but that wouldnt till i removed the plugin and then id put it back on the channel and then it would work. sometimes id have to remove it a couple times. something else i was running into was panning wouldnt work on bussed channels if the buss had a plugin on it. again it didnt mater what kindve plugin.
what is going on with my computer???

thanks guys
-jal

Upvote 0
Back