Logic Pro 9 **Please Help Recording from MPC to Logic**

keidrickh

Logician
Hello,

I am new to Logic. I am trying to figure out how to setup logic to record the the samples I have created on my MPC. So basically I want to play the samples on the MPC and have logic to record the sounds to the arrange window. Please help, also thanks in advance!!

MPC and Logic

First thing- if you are new to Logic, you should spend some time in Logic and learn Logic. Logic is a complex software and doing what seems like a simple thing, like recording your MPC, requires that you spend at least some time learning Logic.

Recording the output of your MPC requires that you think about 2 things, getting audio into Logic and getting MIDI into Logic. So you will need an audio interface with enough inputs to correspond to the outputs you are using on the MPC and that will record the audio, and you will need a MIDI interface (perhaps your audio interface has MIDI) so that you can synchronize the MPC with Logic and record any sequences you have performed on the MPC.

In Logic you will need to create audio tracks that correspond to the physical ins and out of your MPC and audio interface. So say you are using 4 outputs of the MPC and those outputs are plugged into 4 inputs of the audio interface, you need to create 4 audio tracks in Logic that correspond to them. Then you need to set up Logic to send MIDI clock, and the MPC to recieve MIDI clock, this way 'songs' or sequences on the MPC play back in time. You should have a MIDI 'in' and a MIDI 'out' hooked up between the MPC and the MIDI ports hooked up to your computer. You should also create some MIDI tracks in Logic, it is really nice to have the raw MIDI data generated from the MPC for editing later on.

Upvote 0
Well I have created about 20 songs in Logic but I am no logic pro by far. Do I need to do anything with the enviroments to accomplish the recording from the mpc to logic?

Upvote 0
Well I have created about 20 songs in Logic but I am no logic pro by far. Do I need to do anything with the enviroments to accomplish the recording from the mpc to logic?

There are some things about Logic's environments that help with certain tasks, but really you should not need to use environments to simply get audio and MIDI into Logic from the MPC...

Do what I did- get Native Instruments Maschine- works as a plug in in Logic- much easier way to do MPC-style performance, sampling and sequencing... it's killer... : )

http://imsproav.com/main/NATIVE17924.html

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/products/producer/maschine/

Upvote 0
ok i have my mpc setup but when I add a audio track in logic all i get is this high pitch noise. what am i doing wrong please someone help me!!!

Upvote 0
ok i have my mpc setup but when I add a audio track in logic all i get is this high pitch noise. what am i doing wrong please someone help me!!!

If this happens when you press record, you maybe have feedback resulting from recording the track's own output. Change the input or output assignations.

Upvote 0
I have no devices plugged in I removed my MPC and my midi Keyboard just to see if that would make a difference and I still get the noise.

Upvote 0
keidrickh, it might help anyone trying to help you if you would provide details of your system
kind regards

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
It's doing the same thing but I dont hear the noise anymore. I can tell it's still doing it because I see the mixer meter and the meter next to the track moving.

Upvote 0
I am using the MPC2000. I have made some progress. I have it now where I know midi information is being transmitted between Logic and the MPC2000. I can trigger the song on my MPC2000 by hitting the play button in Logic but if I hit record in Logic it triggers the song on the MPC2000, once the song has completed I return to Logic and play what was record.. the only sound that comes out of the speakers is the metronome. Can some help me.

In Logic I create a new project with an audio track.. Is this the correct way to record the song from the MPC.

Upvote 0
I am sorry oversight on my part.

MPC2000
Logic 9 Pro
Macbook 2GHz processor Core 2 Duo, Memory @GB, OSX 10.6.2
I am using the built in audo interface

I am sorry about the late response. Please forgive me!

Upvote 0
Actually, the place to make this change is in the Audio Preferences window, where you can choose between Built-in Microphone and Built-in Input.

Upvote 0
Should I be running the cable from my MPC2000 to the headphone jack or the other jack on my macbook?.

Ok I went to System Preferences --> Sound .. and this is what I have.

OutPut
Name: Type:
Internal Speakers Built-In Output

Input
Name: Type:
Internal microphone Built-in Microphone
Line In Built-in Input.

Upvote 0
Your MPC2000 output will connect to the Macbook input (the other jack than the headphones)

You don't need to go to system preferences to do what I was suggesting - it's all inside Logic. Choose Preferences and click the Audio tab - that's where you find the options for I/O.

Upvote 0
Back