Logic Pro 8 Problem with "Save A Copy As"

Made To Feel

Logician
I'm trying to make a complete copy of a session so that I can safely mess with it (and make it "lighter" for exporting, erasing unused regions) while still keeping the original and all its assets intact.

I've been trying to do this with the "Save A Copy As" command, but here's the problem: when I double check the source files in the Bin, the only ones that appear to be in the *new* project folder are the ones currently in use in the Arrange window. The rest of the files are still shown as living in the *old* project folder.

And yes, the "Include Assets" and "Copy external audio files to project folder" boxes are both checked when I import.

Am I skipping a step, or is this a bug?
I'm running Logic Pro 8.0.0 on a 2.2 GHz MacBook Pro with 4G of RAM

Thanks in advance,
Neil

I'm not so sure about Logic 8, but whenever I want to do this, I use Save as, not save a copy as.

To be honest I don't actually know why there are both options.

Anyway
Save as always works fine for me.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I still get the same problem.

I always understood the reason for the difference (at least in a ProTools context) to be that Save As will create another session file that draws from the same assets, and Save Copy As will create a separate twin project folder w session file, assets etc.

It's helpful when I want to do things like time-stretching or other destructive-type edits. I can wreak havoc on my guinea pig made with Save Copy As, all the while sure that my original is preserved so I can go back to it.

Upvote 0
I can wreak havoc on my guinea pig made with Save Copy As, all the while sure that my original is preserved so I can go back to it.

I have never had that problem. Sometimes I have forgotten to do a save, before save as, but I can always get that back.

So maybe it's an issue with Logic 8 that isn't there with 9, sorry I can't be of more help.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but I still get the same problem.

I always understood the reason for the difference (at least in a ProTools context) to be that Save As will create another session file that draws from the same assets, and Save Copy As will create a separate twin project folder w session file, assets etc.

It's helpful when I want to do things like time-stretching or other destructive-type edits. I can wreak havoc on my guinea pig made with Save Copy As, all the while sure that my original is preserved so I can go back to it.

You are missing the essential difference between Save As and Save A Copy As.

Assuming you choose to include the assets in either Save As and Save A Copy as, the difference is that when you use Save as, Logic replaces your currently open session with the new "Saved As" version. So as you continue working, you are working in the new version.

With Save A Copy As, Logic leaves your old project open in front of you. The copy you have created is sitting at the destination location intact, unopened, and unused.

So, to summarize: if you want to save your work incrementally as you are working, use Save As (with or without assets being duplicated, depending on your needs).

If you want to archive the current state of your project to a new location (like maybe for transferring to a different studio, or for backing up, etc), use Save A Copy As.

If you do choose to use Save A Copy As as a means of incremental backup where you want to continue working on the newly created copy, make sure to close your current project and specifically open the new version from the new location. Logic doesn't do it automatically for you.

Or, you could use Save A Copy As, and leave it alone at it's new location. Continue working in your current project making destructive changes to audio as necessary. And if it doesn't work out and you want to revert; switch to your Save A Copy As version.

Upvote 0
MTF, why do you want continued access to files you aren't using in the Arrange? Wouldn't your Save As (including assets) have everything you might want to destructively edit, with all additional unused takes (or whatever unused files you still want to retain) safely stored in the original file, to be copy-imported as needed? Just curious.

BTW for a really quick solution, use Command-D in the Finder to duplicate your whole song folder.

Upvote 0
Back