problems recording

Taybot

Logician
I'm trying to record but I can't get my voice to be loud enough. Any time it is close to loud enough for me to hear it peaks in the red on the fader.

How do I stop this? I have recorded before with the exact same gear and got it to work but I don't know how to fix it for some reason. I'm using logic 8 and a m-Audio box.

I've tried adjusting the signal and still, as soon as my voice gets remotely loud enough to hear it peaks in the red.

how do I fix this plz?

also, Do most people record with the vocal fader set to 0 or lower?

Not to overstate the obvious, but - how about pulling down the level of the rest of your backing tracks? Or boosting your headphone output level?

Do most people record with the vocal fader set to 0 or lower?
The fader level doesn't matter when you're recording. The audio being recorded has already been stored on disk before it reaches the fader. The fader is just like the output level of that channel going to the mix. You could record with the fader right down or with the channel muted, if you really wanted to.

"Turn up your monitor headphones" was my first thought on reading this as well.

I don't get how turning up my monitor headphones would fix anything, since that would turn up all the music and my issue is hearing my vocals. So if all the music is turned up everything will be louder but I still won't hear my vocals.

I don't get how turning up my monitor headphones would fix anything, since that would turn up all the music and my issue is hearing my vocals. So if all the music is turned up everything will be louder but I still won't hear my vocals.

Eli already made the suggestion:

Not to overstate the obvious, but - how about pulling down the level of the rest of your backing tracks?

kind regards

Mark

Maybe if I can help with the instructions that were given a bit: Pull down the level of the rest of your backing tracks, AND THEN boost your headphone output level.

Back