Logic Pro 9 problems with switching screensets

Doug Zangar

Logician
George Leger III said:
I have major composers using 10.7.4 and things are working out pretty well (other than Logic issues, like the fact that you can't use screen sets, due to Logic crashing when you change them all the time using numbers... a known bug, and the only real issue we are finding)

Not sure if this is the same bug - but it sounds like it might be....

Just got into re-orchestrating an old film cue using Logic 9.1.7, OS 10.7.4. I've had a crash or two, occasional error messages pointing out sample rate discrepancies between Ensemble and Logic (there are none - both at 48k) and chronically losing the connection with the Ensemble all because of switching screensets. At first I was reconnecting via Logic audio preferences, but that caused all the samples to reload (zzzzzzzzzzz) and finally figured out I could toggle the Ensemble clock setting in Logic's interface or Maestro from internal to word clock and back again to reconnect.

I just discovered today I could open up, say, the score editor in screenset one and not lose my audio connection. So, it sounds like if I use the screenset menu to switch screensets I'll be OK as well? Did anyone try re-assigning screensets to something other than numbers? Going to try this out tonight or tomorrow.

Prior troubleshooting for this problem included importing into new empty project and rebuilding Logic's preferences (rebuild _seemed_ to work for a day or so....)

Any insight, experience, etc. appreciated

Hi Doug,

On my Mac Pro 1,1 with 12 GB RAM and 10.7.4 and L9.1.7, switching screen sets by the numbers in 32 bit mode seems to be ok. What I've noticed is that there is a sluggishness when returning to #1 regardless of which previous screen set I was in. ( I have 9 screen sets but generally use 6 of them with any frequency).

The sluggishness also occurs when selecting from the Screen Set menu.

In 64 bit mode, I get this message: System Overload: The Audio Engine was not able to process all required data in time (-10011). This occurs whenever returning to screen set #1 from any other screen set, whether selected by numbers or the menu.

I/O buffer was 512 in all cases.

The above is true when using the Ensemble with the latest Feb 2012 update) and with a MOTU 828 mkll.

???

Upvote 0
Wally,

Thanks for the reply. I have just switched back to 64 bit after doing a bunch audio editing for video. I also have a project that has a half-dozen instances of Play installed. The audio dropout is in this project. On another project I'm working on horn charts with Garritan's JABB and the Aria player, perhaps 12 instances, no problems.

It really does seem to be a problem coming back to screenset 1. And it's not consistent. If I open up the performance meter I can see my 8th core overload - sometimes - on the switch back to screenset 1. It does happen using qwerty and numeric keypad numbers as well as using the menu. Setting the I/O buffer to 1024 seems to climate the connection loss, but there still is a short audio dropout.

My Ensemble has the same update, interesting to note the problem exists with the MOTU also. Which indicates it's not an Ensemble problem. FYI, I had an e-mail dialog going with Apogee tech support - they blamed it on the limits of the Firewire 400 bandwidth to transfer audio (?!). Also on the fact I had CPU pig plug-ins in my project and recommended I get a card device such as the Symphony to handle this.

Upvote 0
I actually bought a dedicated firewire card as well and it is used ONLY for the Ensemble. I did this a year or so back upon Apogee's advice.

I haven't run a Large Kontakt project since this occurred.

Upvote 0
Back